What to Expect
In a peer tutoring session you are likely to:
- Talk about your ideas and the assignment
- Describe what you want to work on; set priorities for the session
- Read your work aloud
- Gain feedback, and discuss your tutor’s responses to your writing
- Take notes and jot down next steps
- Hear your tutor describe his/her personal experience with similar assignments
- Get energized and decrease anxiety about writing!
A peer tutoring session will not include:
- Editing and rewriting by the tutor (though the tutor can help you edit and revise your own work)
How to get ready for a peer tutoring session:
- Think about what you want to get out of the session; choose an area on which to focus.
- Review the Frequently Asked Questions page on this website.
- Make an appointment (see online reservation system).
- Bring a hard copy of your paper, if you are at that stage.
- Bring a copy of the instructor’s assignment sheet or a description of the assignment.
- Keep an open mind!
Remember, the goal of the peer tutor is to help you become a better writer!