What to Expect
A peer tutoring session usually includes:
- Going over the assignment
- Describing what you want to work on and setting priorities
- Reading your work aloud
- Receiving feedback and discussing your tutor’s responses to your writing
- Working through some revisions with tutor support
- Taking notes and planning next steps
- Getting re-energized and decreasing your anxiety about writing!
A peer tutoring session will not include:
- Editing and rewriting by the tutor; instead, the tutor will help you develop the skills to edit and revise your own work
- The tutor telling you the “how to fix it;” there are almost always many possible “right” ways to write
- “Dropping off your paper and getting written feedback, although this service is available through the Virtual Writing Center (visit the Virtual Writing Center site and follow the instructions for submitting your writing.)”
How to get ready for a peer tutoring session:
- Think about what you want to get out of the session and choose one or two areas where you’d like to focus.
- Review the Frequently Asked Questions page on this website.
- Make an appointment (see online reservation system).
- Bring a hard copy of your paper, or a laptop with a digital copy.
- Bring a copy of the instructor’s assignment sheet or a description of the assignment.
- Keep an open mind!
Remember, the goal of the Writing Center is to help you become a better writer!