Preparing to apply to Antioch University New England’s Waldorf teacher education program begins with an expectation that applicants are familiar with Waldorf education, and also with Anthroposophy, the theory of human development that is the basis of the Waldorf way of teaching and learning.
If you are considering applying to the Waldorf Teacher Education Program please submit a Foundation Studies Questionnaire. The questionnaire is designed to give both you and us a sense of your background, and so we can offer guidance if you need to deepen your Foundation Studies. You need not have any prior background in Rudolf Steiner’s work or Anthroposophy to complete the questionnaire. Once we receive your questionnaire, we will send you a letter evaluating your background and offering suggestions if you need to pursue further studies. You need not have any prior background in Rudolf Steiner’s work or Anthroposophy to complete the questionnaire.
Even if our evaluation recommends further study, please continue with the application process for admission.
Options to fulfill the Foundation Studies prerequisite
- We recommend that you study certain basic works by Steiner with a mentor. Sharing your questions and having discussions with a mentor will deepen your understanding of the anthroposophical basis of Waldorf education. For more information, please contact Barbara Richardson at the Center for Anthroposophy (affiliated with Antioch University New England) by email.
- We also recommend that you finish your mentorship experience with a course entitled “Self-Education through Intuitive Thinking and Artistic Perception.” This Anthroposophical course is held for one week each July in Wilton, New Hampshire, one week prior to the start of our Waldorf Teacher Education Program (also in Wilton). For more information, please contact the Center for Anthroposophy.
- Finally, we advise you to get started by reading the following basic books. All of the books below are available from Steiner Books at
- Rudolf Steiner, How to Know Higher Worlds
- Rudolf Steiner, Anthroposophy in Everyday Life
- Rudolf Steiner, Theosophy
- Torin Finser, Organizational Integrity
- Torin Finser, School as a JourneyBooks