Career Development is an integral part of the MBA student experience. MBA students have opportunities to explore their lives and career values (we believe these are inextricably related). They consider their past and present career choices, aspirations, and other factors critical to determining their futures. Based on this information, students may develop Personal Strategic Plans to guide their decision-making in regard to their careers. Some students’ plans are designed to advance their careers within their current organizations or fields, while others focus on developing new career paths.
Faculty assist students to explore and develop their careers in a variety of ways, including:
- Career Development Modules: Up to three modules on Career Development are spread across a student’s graduate school program at Antioch. Typically, these modules coincide with the planning and implementation phases of a student’s Practicum project. This approach offers an opportunity to use the Practicum to explore and enhance careers.
- Advisor: Each student has a faculty advisor who is available to provide consultation regarding career development. Practicum advisors offer career consultation within the framework of the student’s Practicum project.
- Networking: Students have opportunities to network with teaching faculty, other students, and Management graduates who make themselves available. In addition, students take advantage of Antioch’s Net Impact chapter networks and career resources.
The following list of resources may also prove helpful to students on their career paths:
- Careers in Conservation from the Land Trust Alliance
- Sustainable Food Jobs
- Indeed.com -Search job sites, newspapers, associations and company career pages. Create an account and set up preferences and alerts for relevant jobs.
- Good Food Jobs - They post opportunities with farmers and food artisans, policy makers and purveyors, retailers and restaurateurs, economists, ecologists, and more.
- Less Carbon More Jobs - an Environmental Defense Fund site with resources and tools related to green job growth in response to a cap on carbon in 23 states.
- Green Job Spider - a search engine for green jobs. Updated nightly.
- Green Jobs Network - Connecting people seeking jobs that focus on environmental and social responsibility with available opportunities and resources.
- Green Career Central - A one-stop career site to help job seekers identify their green niche, research the green economy, and find green employment.
- GreenBiz.com - Search engine for “green” jobs
- Green Jobs - A list of “green” jobs in variety of fields. Current positions posted regularly.
- Green Job Machine - "Green Job Machine is a search engine for green jobs – our software goes out and looks for cool green jobs each night and adds them to our index."
- SustainableBusiness.com - Search open positions for environmentally responsible employers
- Lindblad Expeditions - Current positions with one of the first companies to specialize in “ecotourism”
- International Ecotourism Society - Current listing of international job opportunities and internships
- Green Jobs - Positions in renewable energy around the world
- Environmental Career - Search engine for employment with organizations focused on the environment
- Planet Friendly - Organic farming information with job links in Canada and the U.S.
- Renewable Energy World - Located in Peterborough, NH.
- Vermont Businesses for Social Responsibility (VBSR) - Internships for students working on undergraduate and graduate degrees
Other Interesting links to follow for career development
- Sizing the Clean Economy: A National and Regional Green Jobs Assessment
- Blue Green Alliance
- Where Will They Lead (2008)? - A report from the Aspen Institute Center for Business Education on MBA student attitudes about business and society.
- Pam Duquette
New World Resume
33 Marsh Road
Pelham, NH 03076
- IMPACT Resume and Business Services,
One Main Street, #213, Burlington, VT 05401
Career Transition Resume Writing: Services Available to Help Management Students rewrite their resumes to meet new career and professional goal
- Quintessential Careers
This is a good professional site with excellent articles on resume writing and also job searching. Their resume articles are at http://www.quintcareers.com/resres.html
- Peterson's ResumeEdge
- Get Hired!
What's Next Professional Coaching provides professional coaching for individuals and groups ready for change. Antioch alumna, Michelle Bourassa (MS 2008), facilitates success by encouraging others to stretch themselves, focus on their goals and not settle. Interested? Contact Michelle for a complimentary planning session.
CareerCoachPiper has a coaching style built on trust and respect. As a "guide on the side," she will accompany you on your journey to a fulfilling and rewarding career using objectivity, positive support, and every resource at her disposal. Piper C. Reason (MHSA 1989) has the training and experience to help you move forward. The initial call is free.