WorldCat Local FAQ
Antioch University New England Library’s catalog is WorldCat Local, where you can look up not only books that we own but a variety of other resources as well...including books and other materials available in libraries worldwide. Before you try out the search box, check out these FAQs.
What is WorldCat Local?
WorldCat Local is a search tool for discovering a variety of resources, including books & other materials owned by our library as well as what can be found in libraries worldwide.
How is WorldCat Local different from Horace [our previous catalog]?
Horace was a way to find out primarily what books (and DVDs and other physical items) could be found in our library. Horace did not include information about journal articles and it could not be used to find out information about books held in other libraries.
What can I use WorldCat Local for?
- Check to see if our library owns a particular book.
- Check to see what books our library has on a particular topic or by a particular author.
- Check to see what books (or DVDs) other libraries have on a particular topic.
What are some useful features of WorldCat Local?
- WorldCat Local can be set to search either just our library, or libraries worldwide.
- WorldCat Local has direct links to the WeDeliver/interlibrary loan form.
- WorldCat Local can be set to search some article databases as well as library book catalogs.
When should WorldCat Local not be used?
Although WorldCat Local can be used to find journal articles on some topics, it is not the best place for that type of research. The search functions for articles are not as thorough and focused as our subject-specific databases, and WorldCat Local does not contain the best or the most information that graduate work requires. At the same time, searches for journal articles in WorldCat Local often return huge numbers of results, which are hard to narrow down and wade through. If you are looking for journal literature on a particular subject, your best bet is to start with our Research Guides by Subject. And as always, contact your librarian for assistance!
How do I get help with WorldCat Local?
Ask Your Librarian!
Click here to go directly to the WorldCat Local search box.