Available to current students, staff, and faculty of Antioch University New England and the Leadership & Change PhD program of Antioch University.
- America: History and Life Index and abstracts of literature covering the history and culture of the United States and Canada, from prehistory to the present. Also provides the full text of many articles.
- American Periodicals Series Online American Periodicals Series Online contains page images of more than 1,100 historic American magazines, journals, and newspapers from 1741-1900. Here you can find some original articles by educators of the period, including Horace Mann, Jane Addams, John Locke, and others.
- Education Full Text Education Full Text indexes core international periodicals, monographs, and yearbooks in education. Topics include a wide range of contemporary education issues, including government funding, instructional media, multicultural education, religious education, student counseling, competency-based, and information technology.
- Education Research Complete Full text database covering scholarly research and information relating to all areas of education.
- ERIC Primary databases for education. Provides full text for many articles and other documents.
A select bibliography on educational philosophy and philosophers, with links to our catalog to find out more about a particular book (including whether or not it's currently available for check-out).
Aristotle on teaching / Mary Michael Spangler
LB85.A7 S73 1998
Authenticity and learning : Nietzsche's educational philosophy / David E. Cooper
LB775 .N5 47 C66 1991
Buber and humanistic education / by Joshua Weinstein
B775.B7493 W44 1975
Comenius : a critical reassessment of his life and work / Daniel Murphy
B475.C6 .M87 1995
The disciplined mind : what all students should understand / Howard Gardner
LB885.G37 W45 1999
The educational philosophy of Martin Buber / Adir Cohen
LB775.B7493 C62 1983
Founders : innovators in education, 1830-1980 / Ernest Stabler
LA2301 .S7 1986
The history and philosophy of education : voices of educational pioneers
REFERENCE LB14.7 .M875 2006 [in-library use only]
Liberty Hyde Bailey : an informal biography / by Philip Dorf
SB63.B3 D6 1956
Locke's education for liberty / Nathan Tarcov
LB475.L7 T37 1989
Martin Buber's philosophy of education / Daniel Murphy
B3213.B84 M8 1988
Multiple intelligences : the theory in practice / Howard Gardner
LB1060 .G357 1993
Nietzsche as educator / Gary Lemco
B3317 .L43 1992
On the art of teaching / Horace Mann
LB1025 .M36 1989
Paulo Freire : pedagogue of liberation / John L. Elias
LB880.F732 E45 1994
Philosophical theories of education / F. Raymond McKenna
LB14.7 .M39 1995
Philosophy of education : an encyclopedia / editor, J.J. Chambliss
REFERENCE LB17 .P485 1996 [in-library use only]
The schools we need and why we don't have them / E.D Hirsch, Jr.
LA210 .H57 1996
Tolstoy and education / Daniel Murphy
LB675.T62 M87 1992
Voices in American education : conversations with Patricia Biehl, Derek Bok, Daniel Callahan, Robert Coles, Edwin Dorn, Georgie Anne Geyer, Henry Giroux, Ralph Ketcham, Christopher Lasch, Elizabeth Minnich, Frank Newman, Robert Payton, Douglas Sloan, Manfred Stanley / [by Bernard Murchland]
LA217 .M87 1990
Women educators in the United States, 1820-1993 : a bio-bibliographical sourcebook
REFERENCE LA2311 .W65 1994 [in-library use only]
Please report dead links on the library Suggestion Form.
Suggested Internet Sites
- The Educator's Reference Desk
- Dictionary of Philosophical Terms and Names
- Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Encyclopedia of Information Education Provides web pages on key thinkers, theories, and prominent themes in educational thought.
- Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy A unique resource, the IEP provides articles on topics in philosophy, written by volunteers from within the scholarly philosophy community. All entries are signed. Articles provide extensive coverage of the philosopher's work, themes, and impact. Most articles include a “sources” section.
- Philosophy of Education Yearbook Archive Each yearbook contains articles and essays related to the study of educational philosophy. The website provides keyword searching across the yearbooks or users may pull up the hyper-linked table of contents. The full text is available for the 1992 to 1999 yearbooks.
- Paolo Freire website
- Froebel web
- The Montessori Method by Maria Montessori, translated from the Italian by Anne E. George. Full text.
- Democracy and Education by John Dewey. Full text.
- Of the Conduct of Understanding by John Locke. Full text.