Available to current students, staff, and faculty of Antioch University New England and the Leadership & Change PhD program of Antioch University.
- America: History and Life Index and abstracts of literature covering the history and culture of the United States and Canada, from prehistory to the present. Also provides the full text of many articles.
- American Periodicals Series Online American Periodicals Series Online contains page images of more than 1,100 historic American magazines, journals, and newspapers from 1741-1900. Here you can find some original articles by educators of the period, including Horace Mann, Jane Addams, John Locke, and others.
- Education Full Text Education Full Text indexes core international periodicals, monographs, and yearbooks in education. Topics include a wide range of contemporary education issues, including government funding, instructional media, multicultural education, religious education, student counseling, competency-based, and information technology.
- Education Research Complete Full text database covering scholarly research and information relating to all areas of education.
- ERIC Primary databases for education. Provides full text for many articles and other documents.
Books in AUNE Library
A select bibliography on educational philosophy and philosophers. Use WorldCat Local to check for availability of these books.
Aristotle on teaching / Mary Michael Spangler
LB85.A7 S73 1998
Authenticity and learning : Nietzsche's educational philosophy / David E. Cooper
LB775 .N5 47 C66 1991
Buber and humanistic education / by Joshua Weinstein
B775.B7493 W44 1975
Comenius : a critical reassessment of his life and work / Daniel Murphy
B475.C6 .M87 1995
Confucius as a teacher : philosophy of Confucius with special reference to its educational implications / Chen Jingpan
B128 .C47 1993
The disciplined mind : what all students should understand / Howard Gardner
LB885.G37 W45 1999
The educational philosophy of Martin Buber / Adir Cohen
LB775.B7493 C62 1983
Founders : innovators in education, 1830-1980 / Ernest Stabler
LA2301 .S7 1986
From Plato to Piaget : the greatest educational theorists from across the centuries and around the world / William Cooney, Charles Cross, Barry Trunk
LB14.7 .C66 1993
From Skinner to Rogers; contrasting approaches to education / Frank Milhollan and Bill E. Forisha
In praise of the cognitive emotions and other essays in the philosophy of education / Israel Scheffler
LB885.S34 I5 1991
The influence of Plato and Aristotle on John Dewey's philosophy / J.J. Chambliss
B945.D44 C42 1990
The history and philosophy of education : voices of educational pioneers
REFERENCE LB14.7 .M875 2006 [in-library use only]
Issues and alternatives in educational philosophy / George R. Knight
LB17 .K57 1998
Learning to learn : toward a philosophy of education / Jerry H. Gill
BD183 .G55 1993
Liberty Hyde Bailey : an informal biography / by Philip Dorf
SB63.B3 D6 1956
Life in schools : an introduction to critical pedagogy in the foundations of education / Peter McLaren
LC191.4 .M38 1994
A light in dark times : Maxine Greene and the unfinished conversation / edited by William Ayers and Janet L. Miller
LB885.G682 L54 1998
Locke's education for liberty / Nathan Tarcov
LB475.L7 T37 1989
Martin Buber's philosophy of education / Daniel Murphy
B3213.B84 M8 1988
Mentoring the mentor : a critical dialogue with Paulo Freire / edited by Paulo Freire with James W. Fraser ... [et al.]
LB880.F732 M46 1997
Multiple intelligences : the theory in practice / Howard Gardner
LB1060 .G357 1993
Nietzsche as educator / Gary Lemco
B3317 .L43 1992
Nietzsche's legacy for education : past and present values / edited by Michael Peters, James Marshall, and Paul Smeyers
LB675.N636 N54 2001
On education / Jane Addams ; with a new introduction by Ellen Condliffe Lagemann
LB875.A33 A3 1994
On the art of teaching / Horace Mann
LB1025 .M36 1989
Paulo Freire : pedagogue of liberation / John L. Elias
LB880.F732 E45 1994
Pedagogy of hope : reliving Pedagogy of the oppressed / Paulo Freire ; notes by Ana Maria Araújo Freire ; translated by Robert R. Barr
LB880.F732 P432 1994
Philosophical theories of education / F. Raymond McKenna
LB14.7 .M39 1995
Philosophy and the American school : an introduction to the philosophy of education / Van Cleve Morris, Young Pai
LB885.M67 P45 1994
Philosophy of education : an encyclopedia / editor, J.J. Chambliss
REFERENCE LB17 .P485 1996 [in-library use only]
Reforming education : the opening of the American mind /Mortimer J. Adler ; edited by Geraldine Van Doren
LA212 .A37 1988
The schools we need and why we don't have them / E.D Hirsch, Jr.
LA210 .H57 1996
Teachers as intellectuals : toward a critical pedagogy of learning / Henry A. Giroux ; introduction by Paulo Freire ; foreword by Peter McLaren
LA217 .G57 1988
Thomas Jefferson / by Henry F. Graff and the editors of Silver Burdett. Editor in charge: Sam Welles
Tolstoy and education / Daniel Murphy
LB675.T62 M87 1992
Tolstoy on education : Tolstoy's educational writings 1861-62 / selected and edited by Alan Pinch and Michael Armstrong and translated by Alan Pinch
LB675 .T6 1982
Voices in American education : conversations with Patricia Biehl, Derek Bok, Daniel Callahan, Robert Coles, Edwin Dorn, Georgie Anne Geyer, Henry Giroux, Ralph Ketcham, Christopher Lasch, Elizabeth Minnich, Frank Newman, Robert Payton, Douglas Sloan, Manfred Stanley / [by Bernard Murchland]
LA217 .M87 1990
We make the road by walking : conversations on education and social change / Myles Horton and Paulo Freire ; edited by Brenda Bell, John Gaventa, and John Peters
LB885.H64 W4 1990
Wheels in the head : educational philosophies of authority, freedom, and culture from Socrates to Paulo Freire/ Joel Spring
LB14.7 .S67 1994
Women educators in the United States, 1820-1993 : a bio-bibliographical sourcebook
REFERENCE LA2311 .W65 1994 [in-library use only]
Please report dead links on the library Suggestion Form.
Suggested Internet Sites
- The Educator's Reference Desk
- Dictionary of Philosophical Terms and Names
- Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Encyclopedia of Information Education Provides web pages on key thinkers, theories, and prominent themes in educational thought.
- Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy A unique resource, the IEP provides articles on topics in philosophy, written by volunteers from within the scholarly philosophy community. All entries are signed. Articles provide extensive coverage of the philosopher's work, themes, and impact. Most articles include a “sources” section.
- Philosophy of Education Yearbook Archive Each yearbook contains articles and essays related to the study of educational philosophy. The website provides keyword searching across the yearbooks or users may pull up the hyper-linked table of contents. The full text is available for the 1992 to 1999 yearbooks.
- Paolo Freire website
- Froebel web
- The Montessori Method by Maria Montessori, translated from the Italian by Anne E. George. Full text.
- Democracy and Education by John Dewey. Full text.
- Of the Conduct of Understanding by John Locke. Full text.