Youth Conservation Corps employs teens as stewards of their own neighborhood green spaces, where they work cooperatively to complete conservation projects. Boston Natural Areas Network (BNAN) is looking for committed, energetic adults with a passion for the outdoors to work with teens for what will be YCC's 20th summer this year.
Youth Conservation Corps Staff Positions:
• Field Manager/Coordinator (1 opening)
• Crew Supervisor (3 openings)
• Neponset Greenway Crew ; Mattapan Square & Dorchester
• East Boston Greenway Crew ; East Boston
• Urban Wilds Crew- Allandale Woods, West Roxbury
• (Urban Agriculture Crew ; Hyde Park & Roxbury*) See Below
Field Manager/Coordinator: The Field Manager/Coordinator is responsible for organizing all logistics pertaining to the four YCC crews' work plans, i.e.: work sites, projects, supplies, personnel support and payroll, as well as managing the environmental education components. The Field Manager/Coordinator directly oversees the four YCC crew supervisors and will assist and support them with any issues that arise, allotting equal time to all crews. Prior to the start of the program, the Field Manager's time is devoted to logistics planning, pulling together educational materials and planning staff training, while time following program completion is utilized to gather feedback for the program's season-end report. This position works closely with BNAN's Program Manager.
Crew Supervisor: Supervisors are responsible for leading a team of 10-12 urban youth, ages 15-18 at one of the above locations. The Crew Supervisor is accountable for the physical work, wellbeing, behavior and safety of the crewmembers. Daily tasks include coordinating the crew's approach to work projects, teaching and following best practices, delivering formal and informal environmental education lessons, and facilitating teambuilding activities. Working with BNAN staff and on-site project partners, the Supervisor is responsible for high quality project outcome and learning experience of the youth.
*Urban Agriculture Crew: This crew is supervised by BNAN's Urban Grower, a position that requires food production experience and operates March - November. For more info, see separate Urban Grower job post at www.bostonnatural.org.
Requirements for BOTH positions:
• At least 21 years of age
• Minimum two years' experience working with and positively motivating urban teens
• Strong leadership, conflict-resolution and teambuilding skills
• Physically fit and up to the challenge of demanding conservation work
• Teaching or youth development experience, especially in environmental education
• Ability to work independently, exercise good judgment and adapt under changing conditions
• Trailwork, landscaping or horticulture experience a plus
• Familiarity with Boston neighborhoods helpful
• Current First Aid & CPR certification by start date
• Demonstrated experience coordinating programs (Field Manager)
• Must have vehicle, mileage reimbursed (Field Manager)
Work Schedule, Dates and Salary:
• Field Manager/Coordinator: 35-40 hrs/wk, Mid June - Aug. 31, 8:00am - 4:00pm, M-F, $22-25/hr
• Crew Supervisor: 30 hrs/wk, End of June ; Aug. 24, 8:00am ; 2:00pm, M-F when in session July/Aug, $18-20/hr.
Paid training end of June, schedule TBD.
To apply: Send a detailed cover letter and resume to Candice Cook, Program Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include your first and last name in the title of your file attachments.
Learn more at www.bostonnatural.org • 617-542-7696 • Application Deadline: April 14, 2014
62 Summer St.
Boston, Massachusetts 02110