Youth Organizations Umbrella (Y.O.U.) is seeking a Youth and Family Counselor to join its Clinical Team. Founded 42 years ago, Y.O.U. is a youth development agency that provides services and leadership to meet the emerging needs of young people and their families in the Evanston community. Y.O.U. currently offers a range of year-round services ; from afterschool enrichment and mentorship to clinical counseling and crisis intervention ; that support more than 1,000 young people annually.
The Youth and Family Counselor is responsible for direct delivery of counseling, case management, and crisis services to youth and families. Specific responsibilities include:
• Provide ongoing counseling services, including crisis response, advocacy, respite, individual and family counseling, and case management, in a variety of community settings.
• In rotation with other staff, carry a pager as assigned and be available to respond to housing crisis service requests in a timely manner.
• Serve as a clinical consultant to after-school program staff, intervene with youth at the program sites as needed, and be available to fill in at after-school program sites on some occasions when there are staff shortages.
• Design and lead psychosocial/psycho-educational groups with youth at the after-school program sites.
• Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with local schools, other youth service organizations, mental health providers, state agencies, police, clergy, community leaders, foster homes, and other partners in Evanston and surrounding communities.
• Participate actively in all staff meetings.
• Maintain accurate, complete, and up-to-date records.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Y.O.U. is seeking candidates who are drawn to its mission, friendly team atmosphere, and flexible work environment.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual with the following qualifications:
• Master’s in social work, psychology, counseling, or other equivalent.
• Experience providing counseling and casework in a youth-centered work setting (minimum of 2 years of supervised experience in a relevant setting).
• Outstanding counseling and casework skills.
• Experience in and passion for youth services.
• Excellent communication skills, ability to build relationships of mutual trust and respect with youth, colleagues, school professionals, and community members.
• Experience with data collection and proficiency in using technology as a management reporting tool.
• Highly collaborative, entrepreneurial, and energetic personality.
• Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for Y.O.U.’s mission.
• Preferred: Fluency in Spanish, including the ability to conduct counseling sessions in both languages.
The salary is targeted to be in the low $30k range.
How to apply
Applicants should visit https://youevanston.wufoo.com/forms/youth-and-family-counselor/to apply for this position. In addition to the general details requested, applicants are asked to submit a resume and a cover letter describing specifically how their background, skills, education and experience match the needs of Youth Organizations Umbrella, Inc. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible and no later than October 4, 2013; however, applications will continue to be received until the position is filled.
1027 Sherman Ave., Evanston, Illinois, 60202, United States