The West Regional Director (WRD) serves as the internal and external leader for The Trustees of Reservations (The Trustees) in Western Massachusetts. The WRD identifies and implements strategic and operational goals for The Trustees in a region encompassing the Berkshires, the Pioneer Valley, and Central Massachusetts. The Director has a unique opportunity to develop and guide a remarkable array of mission-related visitor engagement and resource protection objectives, as well as enterprises and partnerships.
The Trustees’ West Region is defined by the New York, Vermont, and Connecticut borders on its west, north, and south, and on the east, a border roughly following I-495. Within this area, The Trustees own and manage over 10,000 acres across more than 40 reservations and monitor dozens of conservation restrictions. Our reservations in the West are diverse and include three National Historic Landmarks, a National Natural Landmark, formal gardens, urban agriculture, woodlands, wildlands and recreational and educational enterprises in rural, suburban, and urban landscapes.
The position is currently based in Holyoke, MA, though Stockbridge, MA is also a possibility. Frequent travel across the region and regular travel across the state is required. The WRD reports to the President & CEO and is a member of The Trustees’ Executive Team.
Specific Responsibilities include:
1. Providing inspirational and strategic leadership, creating and sustaining an inclusive, high performing, geographically dispersed team that includes 32 year-round staff, up to 20 seasonal staff, and multiple leadership volunteers and volunteer committees.
2.Managing a regional senior staff team, setting regional priorities and ensuring their implementation.
3. Overseeing the stewardship of the region’s reservations ensuring that
a) cultural, agricultural and ecological resources are managed in accordance with organizational guidelines, and
b) our reservations are welcoming, safe, and provide an inspiring experience for visitors.
4. Building, expanding, and diversifying effective coalitions with internal and external stakeholders including staff, local communities, partners, donors and volunteers.
5. Serving as principal liaison for the Hilltown Land Trust-Trustees of Reservations Affiliation, serving as an Ex-Officio member of the HLT Board of Directors. In addition, the RD will develop new programs and strategic partnerships with organizations and individuals to achieve regional and organizational goals.
6. Overseeing the financial management of all activities, including: developing long and short-range financial plans; creating and monitoring operating and special project budgets; ensuring that sound financial controls are in place; and setting financial priorities that support the needs of enterprises, programs and staff.
7. With enterprise, marketing and finance colleagues, optimizing existing revenue sources and identifying, planning and implementing new income-producing activities.
8. Collaborating with the Development Department to cultivate donors and leadership volunteers, articulate fundraising priorities, and raise funds to meet regional and organizational fundraising targets.
9. Raising the profile of the organization in the region and connecting more people to The Trustees by identifying and delivering on a variety of programmatic, outreach, and marketing strategies.
• 10-plus years of progressively responsible management of staff and programs;
• Demonstrated management and leadership expertise and a track record of
effectively leading an outcomes-based operation and staff;
• Excellent judgment and the ability to make sound management recommendations and decisions;
• Proven organizational skills and sound financial management abilities;
• Strong commitment to staff development and a successful track record of recruiting, retaining and leading a diverse team;
• Proven experience in implementing new programs, especially those targeted to new and more diverse constituencies;
• Demonstrated ability to raise funds;
• Managing change in a complex organization;
• Outstanding communication and presentation skills and the experience and proclivity to be a superb spokesperson and relationship builder;
• A passionate commitment to the values, mission, and purpose of The Trustees.
TTOR’s Underlying Values
The Trustees of Reservations aims to create a thriving, inclusive workplace that values each member of our team and to reflect and effectively serve the diverse residents and communities of Massachusetts. We believe that people and communities are strongly connected to place; that it is our mission to foster stronger connections between communities and their natural and cultural heritage; that climate change is a serious threat to our mission and the sustainability of the landscape, and that we must work to catalyze widespread action to offset this threat. To succeed, The Trustees must be a broadly inclusive organization that engages and serves the many different communities of Massachusetts.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are committed to fairness and equity throughout our internal operations. Inclusion and diversity are priorities as we strengthen and continue to diversify our team and expand the constituency for all facets of our work.
About the Organization
The mission of the Trustees of Reservations is to preserve, for public use and enjoyment, properties of exceptional scenic, historic, and ecological value in Massachusetts. A small band of visionary volunteers founded the organization in 1891 and it has evolved into a complex organization with 160 year-round employees who are led by a volunteer governance structure and supported by over 45,000 member households. We care for over 109 properties which comprise more than 25,000 acres and monitor over 350 Conservation Restrictions protecting 17,000 acres.
The salary is commensurate with experience and a generous benefits package is offered.
Candidates should submit their resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to Human Resources, The Trustees of Reservations, 572 Essex Street, Beverly MA 01915 or email to email@example.com. No phone calls please.