Youth For Understanding USA an international student exchange organization is currently seeking a Volunteer Program Coordinator.
Summary of Position:
The Volunteer Program Coordinator supports and supplements efforts in the field to aid in the growth of program quality within the key areas targeted for development. The Coordinator works with the District Director and with the District staff to successfully enhance the volunteer/Host Family/American Outbound (AO) recruitment and development strategy within the targeted areas of the District. The Volunteer Program Coordinator will report to the District Director.
Goal: Primary goal is to build a volunteer base to support our four primary constituencies: volunteers, host families, students and schools.
- Develop and maintain positive volunteer relationships.
- Working with the District Director and field staff, and collaborating with the National Marketing department and national Volunteer Program Manager, implements and supports a marketing and recruiting outreach plan to meet the volunteer workforce goals as identified within specific fields in the District and as approved by senior management. The outcome of the outreach plan is to build a sustaining volunteer base and vibrant YFU communities to support the delivery of YFU programs in the fields.
- Generate volunteer inquiries by promoting opportunities and networking within local businesses and diverse communities. Increase awareness of and commitment to the YFU USA volunteer program.
- Assist with following-up and conducting initial screening interviews from volunteer inquiries and leads. Recruit, screen, and conduct interviews with candidates when required to identify their interests, availability and commitment. Assist volunteers with the application and onboarding process
- Work with the field directors in handing over the newly-assigned volunteers to the field to ensure that the volunteer becomes engaged and experiences being part of the team from the beginning.
- Conduct or schedule an introductory training for new volunteers within the District by phone or in person providing a clear understanding of organizational standards, procedures, and regulations as they relate to the specific volunteer responsibilities. Work with FDs to schedule and track training required for assigned volunteer tasks.
- Accountable for assuring all active volunteers are in compliance with annual YFU and regulatory requirements.
- Oversee the recruitment, training and utilization of Certified Trainers in the district to meet district training needs and assure a fulfilling experience for the volunteer trainer.
- Oversight of field-based intern's experience to assure training needs are met and the experience is positive and beneficial for the intern. Directly supervise interns assigned to VPC and other district office interns as assigned by the director.
- Assist with the coordination oversight of major district and field volunteer training events
Coordinate and schedule Robo-Calling
- Manage internet social media and blogs
- Assist with district host family recruitment efforts
- Other duties as assigned
Degree with minimum of two years successful experience in volunteer recruitment and marketing; preferably with a non-profit organization.
- Volunteer management experience and experience in the development and delivery of training highly desirable.
- Working knowledge and experience in recruitment and conducting interviews, preferable.
- Demonstrated networking and interpersonal skills, and teamwork orientation
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including demonstrated writing ability. Public speaking experience helpful. Outgoing, convincing, and personable demeanor. Excellent phone etiquette and communication style to communicate effectively with potential candidates in a professional, knowledgeable and engaging manner.
- A self-starter with initiative; creative thinker
- Demonstrated ability to initiate, manage, and follow-through on projects; strong organizational and administrative skills. Must be able to work independently and as part of a team; and with all levels of staff, volunteers and within the community.
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Able to travel, possess a valid drivers license; and able to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends when necessary.
- Ability to learn about, commit to, and educate others on YFU's mission and goals.
- Must be reliable; dependable, flexible and results- and goal-oriented
Based on ADA guidelines, the following are minimal physical activities applicable to this position:
- Talking; hearing; repetitive motion of wrists, hands and/or fingers
- Sedentary work - exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects
- Visual Acuity - Level - Minimum standard for use with those whose work deals largely with preparing and analyzing data and figures, accounting, and extensive reading
- Working conditions - this position is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions
Computer, keyboard, calculator, telephone, printer, fax machine, computer software
This job description will be reviewed periodically as functions and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and marginal job functions are subject to modification.
How to apply
Please forward a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and include VPC-NE-ID in the subject line.