Job Title: SSVF Housing Specialist
Exemption Status: Non-exempt
Supervisor: SSVF Program Coordinator
The SSVF Housing Specialist is responsible for provision housing stabilization services to homeless veteran households assisted through the Supportive Service for Veterans Families (SSVF) Program. These duties include locating housing units, working closely with landlords, collaborating with service providers, the VA and providing general housing support to ensure that homeless veteran households are able to secure and maintain housing. All households receive social services in a case management model.
- Provide housing placement and assistance for participants in Alameda County focusing on household’s needs and goals.
- Develop and maintain inventory of appropriate units for potential participants. Network with landlords, renter’s associations, property management businesses and county wide permanent housing providers.
- Approve all leases with landlords.
- Prepare and distribute subsidy payments to entities that would maintain housing for Veterans.
- Perform or arrange for Housing Quality Inspections (HQI’s) prior to move-in including lead paint testing, assist in negotiation of rents, collect and keep on file income certifications, calculations of subsidies and lease approval for participants master leases/direct lease contracts. Provide notices of contract renewals and rental adjustments.
- Participate as a member of the service team by attending case conferencing meetings, assist service staff in evaluation of participants housing readiness, reducing housing barriers and status of unit availability.
- Maintain contact with participants, monitor progress, report and refer to team members as necessary after housing is secured.
- Provide assistance and expertise to landlords or service staff for conflict resolution and problem solving
- Preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual reports which include, but are not limited to the following data; rent, subsidy and participant amounts, occupancy rate, participant demographic information and program eligibility and socio-economic data for monitoring purposes.
- Ensure that all regulatory agreements, contracts, and fair housing laws are met as they relate to housing.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Professional experience in the human services or related field and demonstrated experience in rental housing programs for low income, special needs individual and families.
- Minimum of three years of experience working in housing field with strong knowledge of the Alameda County housing market and geography.
- Knowledge of federal, state and local fair housing laws.
- Ability to maintain accurate client leasing files.
- Strong organizational, detail oriented, and time management skills.
- Proven ability to work independently, effectively as an individual and part of the team.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills and attentiveness to detail.
- Ability to work with financial spreadsheets. Excellent knowledge of computer systems, MS Office applications.
- Clean DMV record required.
Notice: This description is to be used as a guide only. It does not constitute a contract, commitment or promise of any kind. Abode Services reserves the right to change, add, delete, upgrade or downgrade the position as dictated by business necessity at anytime with or without notice.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Drug Free Workplace.
How to apply
Please send a resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
40849 Fremont Blvd., Fremont, CA, 94538, US