Blue Water Baltimore (BWB), the leading water quality nonprofit in Baltimore, seeks a full-time Urban Forestry Manager to fill a critical role in our community greening program. This is a great opportunity to work with a dynamic and effective environmental nonprofit in the region.
BWB's mission is to restore the quality of Baltimore's rivers, streams and harbor to foster a healthy environment, a strong economy, and thriving communities. BWB is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that takes on and accomplishes a wide range of work, and partners with a wide variety of organizations to accomplish its restoration, greening, and advocacy goals. Blue Water Baltimore is an equal opportunity employer. Our office is a LEED Gold certified green building. Read more at www.bluewaterbaltimore.org.
This position will lead implementation of our Urban Forestry Program throughout our watersheds. BWB currently plants about 2,000 trees per season with volunteers and staff. Most trees are planted on public property at schools and on park and public lands. Some trees are given away or purchased through our nursery to increase canopy on private property. We also do some management of invasive plants at our plantings to improve forest health and prevent canopy loss. Lastly, we are planting street trees and creating and amending street tree lawns to improve tree health and reduce impervious surfaces.
This person will work closely with the Volunteer Manager and the Workforce & Landscape Manager and work with and report to the Senior Manager for Greening. There is considerable room for growth for this position.
- Works with green pod (above-listed staff) to identify, design, and implement forestry projects
- Coordinates and mentors other team members to implement projects
- Works with existing partners and develops additional partnership opportunities
- Organizes the yearly tree maintenance program
- Conducts site visits and surveys of existing restoration plantings
- Works with interns and our work force development team to tackle summer watering
- Works with volunteer manager to schedule group and individual maintenance events and monitoring inspections
- Manages all tree and supply purchase orders
- Works with Nursery manager to inform species and size needed for projects
- Coordinates with volunteers, Americorps members and our landscape team to complete all plantings
- Familiarity with native Maryland tree forests and ecosystems
- Experience planting trees for restoration
- 1-2 years previous experience designing and installing tree plantings or reforestation projects with volunteers
- Organized and motivated individual, able to solve problems independently
- Competent logistics management skills
- Team player capable of working with staff, teachers and partners in an additive way
Other Job Requirements:
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. and work outdoors in occasionally adverse conditions, including cold, heat and bugs
- Ability to work weekends during the fall and spring tree planting seasons with a flexible planned schedule, i.e. Tuesday through Saturday work week
- Valid driver's license and ability to drive truck/ trailer to transport tree material
- Ability to attend occasional night meetings
- Projects a positive, can do attitude
- Forestry, Biology, Horticultural or Environmental Science degree preferred, relevant experience can be substituted
- Nursery or landscaping or watershed restoration experience can be substituted
- Experience with GIS, Google Earth/Maps or iTree mapping programs
- First Aid certified or willing to become certified
- Experience writing grants or developing proposals
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Lightningâ€fast text messaging skills
Salary and Benefits:
- Salary range $37,500 to $41,000
- Holidays and vacations included
- Vesting in 401(k) retirement plan
- Opportunities for growth and professional development
- Working with some of the most awesome people in Baltimore (biased, but not untrue!)
TO APPLY: Please send cover letter, resume and salary requirement to employment @ bluewaterbaltimore.org. Position will remain open until February 1 or filled. Desired start date as soon as possible.