Do you want to help break the cycle of poverty in the poorest urban Congressional District in the US?
Are you willing to do whatever it takes to close the achievement gap?
Do you possess relevant information technology expertise and believe your skills and knowledge can positively change the lives of students?
If you answered "yes" to the three questions above, The Bronx Charter School for Children is looking for you!
We seek to hire a highly committed an individual who can function both as a Technology Teacher and Coordinator. BCSC's Technology Teacher will be driven to improve K-5 education in an urban setting through sharing his/her technology expertise and supporting the administration, faculty, staff and students of The Bronx Charter School for Children.
We encourage practitioners who possess special knowledge and skills in the area of information technology, a "role up my sleeves" enthusiasm, and a minimum of 2 years of instructional experience in a classroom - to apply immediately.
History of the Bronx Charter School for Children:
The Bronx Charter School for Children (BCSC) is an independent, elementary charter school serving 430 students in Kindergarten through 5th grade, located in the Mott Haven section of the South Bronx in New York City. Opened in 2004 with 132 students in Kindergarten and 1st grade, BCSC's Charter recently received charter renewal through 2016. In 2012 the school began its transition from its start-up phase to becoming a continually high performing school focused on excellence.
Educational Philosophy: BCSC adheres to the following approach to learning:
BCSC aspires to help scholars make connections between facts, foster new understanding and think critically. Teachers tailor their developmentally appropriate strategies to student responses and encourage critical thinking through analysis, interpretation and prediction ; all in the context of the child's socio-emotional development, interpersonal relationships and support. As such, the learning environment facilitates a deep understanding of individual needs and targeted instruction. This strong foundation to learning and skill development propels our scholars to change their future trajectory.
Values: Members of the BCSC Community will display the following:
- Understanding and passion for urban education: Drive to make a difference in vulnerable lives!inspiring children to set and achieve stretch goals!culturally sensitive: comfort and impact in the community.
- Commitment to Children: Create a positive learning environment!utilizes developmentally appropriate techniques to create and sustain a love of learning!positive and effective behavior management.
- Collaborates for a Cause: Holds self and others accountable for BCSC's mission and goals!. high energy to achieve goals, willingly crosses boundaries to achieve the mission!seeks and provides feedback to improve individual and others' performance!treats others with respect and dignity.
- Analytical/Data Driven in pursuit of Excellence: Leverages systems and information to improve decision making and performance!makes fact based decisions!monitors performance trends to offer and measure improvement.
- Flexible/innovative/adaptive for goal attainment: Able to think outside the box and proactively seeks new solutions, ideas and approached!adaptable, open minded!takes calculated risks, strong problem solver.
- Lifelong Learner: Able to master and apply new information quickly!reflective; learns from experiences to improve performance!seeks out and leverages professional development.
Teacher Responsibilities: All Teachers at The Bronx Charter School for Children possess outstanding abilities in:
- Instructional Skills: Produce quality lesson plans that strive for higher-level objectives yet accommodate all learning styles; maximize learning time through effective classroom management; use varied instructional techniques and apply developmentally appropriate strategies.
- Student Achievement: Hold all students to the highest of expectations; analyze data from a variety of sources to adjust instruction or initiate targeted interventions; regularly assess for student learning ; both formally and informally; in order to adjust instruction accordingly; clearly demonstrate student growth.
- Community Oriented: Constantly seek out resources and strategies to meet student needs; communicate and collaborate effectively with all members of the community, to achieve the BCSC mission.
- Utilize and/or oversee the implementation of iPads and other devices with the K/1 classrooms.
- Teach developmentally appropriate technology skills to specified grades utilizing the Tech Lab.
- Oversee the implementation of Readabout with the 4th and 5th grade classes including running reports, serving as a conduit between the company and the school, if necessary; and monitoring use of the program along with scholar growth.
- Create goals and meet regularly to assist the K and 1st grade teachers with infusing the technology portion of SuperKids ELA Program into their instruction.
- Able to successfully introduce new technology, beginning with interactive software, as well as train/engage/motivate educators in a school community or educational organization to use technology to achieve BCSC's mission.
- Classroom experience in an urban setting, minimum 2 years - preferably as lead teacher.
- Has experience creating a curriculum or scope & sequence outlining the development of a balanced K-5 Program.
- Ability to use data from assessments (or student engagement) to adjust instruction.
- Must meet Highly Qualified Status under NCLB, New York State Certification preferred
- Bachelors Degree from accredited university, Masters Degree (preferred).
How to apply
Go to our website www.TBCSC.org and submit a cover letter addressing why you would be an outstanding addition to BCSC, including responses to the short answer questions. Resumes without a cover letter or short answer responses will not be reviewed.
Short Answer Questions
Please respond to both questions in 250 words or less.
- Define your responsibilities as a teacher as they relate to students, parents and colleagues.
- What does accountability mean within the context of a classroom?
We will directly contact candidates who meet our criteria in order to arrange a phone interview
Bronx Charter School for Children is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Bronx Charter School for Children does not discriminate in employment or educational opportunities based on race, color, religion, sex, age, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.
388 Willis Avenue, Bronx, New York, 10454, United States