The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries, the IRC aims to restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to survive.
This position provides technical support in the design, development and implementation of Environmental Health (EH) programs in countries in conflict, crisis, post-conflict and post-crisis settings. The Technical Advisor develops tools and resources to support IRC programming within the Environmental Health sector, based on evidence demonstrating the impact of IRC’s work. Environmental Health field programs are supported by a headquarters team of five Technical Advisors supervised by the Senior Technical Advisor Environmental Health, ensuring quality programming related to water supply, sanitation, hygiene promotion and vector control. The EH team is situated institutionally within the Health Unit of IRC alongside reproductive health, child survival, primary health care and nutrition.
- Provide remote and on-site technical support and assistance in the design, development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of programming and project activities within the Environmental Health technical domain. Maintain relationships with regional and country program coordinators and managers and offer them support, as needed, on program implementation and monitoring via regular field visits, emails, phone calls, etc.
- Assist in the design and development of EH programs and country sector strategies.
- Participate in the recruitment of EH field staff. Promote staff development via training, workshops, exchange programs, and coaching.
- Contribute to the continued development of the EH Field Guide and other IRC EH resources and policies. Participate in research, teaching, and academic activities in the context of IRC programs and strategic priorities.
- Represent EH across the organization, serving as a resource to IRC staff seeking information about program activities, including external relations and advocacy departments.
- Represent EH and the IRC in outside meetings and academic forums with donors, other non-governmental organizations, inter-agency working groups, foundations and other practitioners in the field.
- Share and learn best practices gathered throughout the Technical Units to support robust evidence-based programming within the IRC.
- Education: University degree in engineering, hydrology, environmental health or related subject.
- Work Experience: At least five years experience in implementing environmental health programs in relief, post-emergency, and development settings.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Technical expertise in water supply, sanitation, hygiene promotion, and vector control; experience in integrated EH + nutrition/health/livelihoods programming a plus.
- Demonstrated expertise in program design, monitoring and evaluation, with the ability to turn concepts and strategy into measurable action.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to write and present.
- Ability to be flexible and work well under pressure in a fast-paced team environment and to work independently.
- Demonstrated commitment to renewing and maintaining currency with best practices.
- Language Skills: English fluency and an ability to work in French are essential.
Working Environment: Must be willing to travel up to 40% of the time to regional and international locations.
How to apply
Please follow this link to apply: Click Here