Title: Teaching Assistant
Location: Bronx, NY
Category: ROADS Charter School 2, Bronx
Position Type: Full-time
Start Date: Immediate
The launch of ROADS (Reinventing Options for Adolescents Deserving Success) Charter Schools presents a tremendous opportunity to prove that every student, without exception, can thrive, when given access to the right educators and environment.
Three years ago, ROADS was simply an idea about new ways to provide an excellent education for students who were inadequately served by the mainstream system. That idea has now grown into a reality with two new charter high schools, ROADS I in East New York, Brooklyn, and ROADS II in the South Bronx.
Our mission at ROADS is to ensure that ALL students ; especially those who are most at risk of dropping out ; graduate from high school thoroughly prepared to excel academically, professionally, and personally. Combining best practices from youth development, high-performing public and public charter schools and work-based interventions, the ROADS model is designed to do nothing less than change the life trajectories of our students. Our application process gives a preference to those students most often ignored: those involved in the juvenile justice system; homeless; former drop outs; those in foster care or child protective services; or those at least one year behind their graduation cohort.
The Teaching Assistant will serve as part of the instructional team and will assist special education teachers with educational and instructional activities, and other nonteaching tasks, in order to assist in the fulfillment of responsibilities that are based on specific educational plans (the IEP), which are formulated, directed, and supervised by the special education teacher. This position reports to the Director of Curriculum and Instruction.
Assist in intellectual development
- Educate individual students (one-on-one or small group) who have IEPs under the direction of the supervising special education teacher.
- Carry out tutoring activities designed by the teacher to support specific students with IEPs.
- Provide assistance with individualized programmed materials.
- Assist with group educational activities that include students with IEPs.
- Monitor supplementary work and independent study that include students with IEPs.
Support social, emotional and behavioral development
- Support and assist students in meeting class and school expectations for appropriate behavior.
- Assist classroom teacher in observing, recording, and charting behavior.
- Assist classroom teacher with crisis problems and behavior management.
Support a safe, organized and positive learning environment
- Assist with preparation of classroom materials related to IEP's or modifications/accommodations.
- Assist with preparation of the classroom environment for learning activities.
- Participating in professional activities & meetings.
- Work with audio-visual equipment, computers and/or assistive technology as related to IEP/accommodations & modifications.
- Assist with classroom maintenance and clerical activities
- Work in high-gear to meet individual and organizational objectives.
- Obtain and record meaningful and required information to document work.
- Record data in a legible format and communicate time-sensitive findings in a timely manner.
- Confer and plan with teachers related to IEP objectives and/or modifications, and providing documentation.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Models nondiscriminatory practices and possesses well-developed decision making skills.
- Experience working with high school-aged students (or at a minimum, older middle school students).
- Experience working within a classroom setting to provide academic redirection/support.
- Experience working with students with emotional/behavioral disorders and/or ADHD
- Strong communication and writing skills.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for ROADS' mission and student population.
- Bilingual Spanish a plus.
ROADS is an equal opportunity employer, and we hire without consideration of race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
How to apply
Submit a unique and compelling cover letter along with your resume to email@example.com. Please include "Teaching Assistant" in the subject header of the email. Resumes without cover letters will not be considered. No phone calls, please. For further information about ROADS, visit http:www.roadsschools.org.
1010 Rev. James A. Polite Ave., Bronx, NY, 10459, US