Teacher/Naturalist Job Description
The Teacher/Naturalist is one of the public faces of the Tin Mountain Nature Center, and he/she will conduct education and outreach, as well as increase visibility in the community. A strong background in environmental education and natural history is required; however, the most important attributes are genuine excitement for the work and a ‘can-do’ attitude. Strong written and platform communication skills are vital since the Teacher/Naturalist represents Tin Mountain at public functions/programs throughout the year. Physical activity (e.g., trail building, canoe carrying/paddling, mountain hiking, backpacking, etc) is part of the position, so applicants must be able to easily lift 50-60 lbs. Applicants should have wilderness first aid (ideally wilderness first responder) and water safety certification (or the ability to acquire these certifications). Masters Degree preferred.
The position is 75% teaching and 25% program coordination. The Teacher/Naturalist will be Tin Mountain’s principle liaison with the public. He/she will organize outreach programs and promote opportunities for the Nature Learning Center and its educational programs. Specifically:
- teach school programs for students K-8 in schools and for homeschoolers.
- assist with organization and teaching of summer camps.
- develop curriculum for school programs and work with teachers to meet required standards.
- increase on-site programming, including weekly guided hikes, parent/child programs, stewardship courses, citizen science projects, naturalist club events, and larger indoor gatherings/presentations (including setup, cleanup, and evaluation).
- maintain the Tin Mountain website and Facebook page.
- use the Center’s Zero Carbon Footprint to encourage green building options and sustainable development.
- assist with research/monitoring projects on the sanctuary and Tin Mountain timberlands.
- write press releases, contribute articles to newsletters, edit copy as required.
- identify new opportunities for the organization.
Closing Date: Friday, August 22
The Teacher/Naturalist is a full-time, benefited position with an expected work week of Tuesday-Saturday.
Salary: $30,000 plus benefits
Send cover letter, resume and references to Lori Jean Kinsey, Education Director, 1245 Bald Hill Road, Albany, NH 03818 or email to Lkinsey@tinmountain.org
Lori Jean Kinsey
1245 Bald Hill Road
Albany, NH 03818