Phoenix Charter Academy's mission is to challenge teenagers in our area with an academically rigorous and individually tailored curriculum. Talented students who have not succeeded in other schools will have the support, resources and training needed at PCA to succeed academically in high school and college, and become economically secure in their future. Phoenix Charter Academy is named after a mythological figure of strength, healing and renewal. We believe in the capacity of our students to regain control of their academic future and recast themselves as strong, independent and self-sufficient adults.
Basic Commitments: Students are on campus M-Th from 8:00 am until 5:00 pm and on F from 8:30 am until 1:00 pm. Teachers at PCA are expected to go above and beyond "school hours" to ensure student achievement and carry out a belief that all students can achieve.
Basic Curriculum and Instructional Duties:
- Teach four core-block classes, Monday through Friday.
- Teach 1 Advisory on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday mornings from 9-9:15 AM.
- Tutor struggling students when necessary.
- Participate in 3 hours weekly of professional development on Fridays from 1:30– 4:30 PM.
- Participate in weekly department team meetings, supervision and meet or exceed the deliverables set by the department team, according to the school Accountability Plan.
- Use "PCA WAY": BBC, weekly overviews, quarterly Scopes and Sequences, Final Assessments are aligned to frameworks; deadlines for all deliverables met.
- Upload all planning materials and planned lessons to Sharepoint following PCA protocol
- Collaborate with ESL and Academic Support staff in order to best reach all students.
- Actively participate in the data cycles process as a way to improve instruction and student learning
- Participate in mid-year and end of year formal evaluations with Department Chair, Dean of Curriculum and Instruction, or Head of School
Basic Non-curricular Duties:
- Internalize mission and make this central to all decisions and actions inside and outside of the classroom
- Communicate with parents/adult supporters through phone calls, email correspondence, and/or in-person meetings at least 10 times per week
- Commit to growing professionally through consistent and constant feedback and reflection; remain humble and relentless
- Fulfill school support and coverage duties deemed necessary by the staff community, Head of School, and Executive Director.
- Set high standards and big goals for students; constantly use real data to measure growth towards these goals; assess students informally, formatively and summatively each quarter in each course; and meet or exceed goals set forth by PCA, department and individual classrooms.
- Publically display evidence of great scholarship in and around your classroom
- Seek to create personal, warm relationships with ALL students, sending a clear message that the academic work is important and that the teacher will not give up on them
- Communicate "kid issues" with Dean of Students and Social Worker whenever necessary
- Gain ESL certification by taking MTEL in ESL instruction after training by ESL Department Chair
How to apply
Applicants are considered on a rolling basis.
Complete an application at:
No phone calls or mailings please.
We seek a diverse workforce. Phoenix Charter Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Phoenix Charter Academy is committed to providing equal opportunity to staff and applicants in all areas of employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status, or any other area protected by federal, state or local law. Phoenix Charter Academy is committed to making any reasonable accommodation necessary to support an individual's employment.
59 Nichols Street, Boston, MA, 02150, US