Skill Level: Mid Level
Position Type: Full Time
The City of Sioux Falls, South Dakota, is seeking a Sustainability Coordinator.
This position will develop, implement, and maintain a comprehensive sustainability master plan that incorporates sustainability practices into City operations and community life.
The successful canidate will lead the City's internal efforts to promote the "Leading Green" initiative and serve as the City's representative and primary spokesperson advancing communitywide sustainability and environmental initiatives.
- Develop and implement plans, policies, and operational guidelines for the City's external and internal sustainability programs including, but not limited to, waste minimization, water resources, energy, transportation, built and natural environment, and community life.
- Define goals, performance measures, and establish a long-range sustainability vision for the City.
- Coordinate and implement comprehensive public information programs for sustainability including, but not limited to, recycling, solid waste diversion, and reduction and disposal of household hazardous waste for the City, including assistance and oversight of the City's Household Hazardous Waste Facility.
- Organize, plan, and implement various initiatives to promote the City's ongoing efforts to become more environmentally friendly.
- Educate and provide technical assistance to public, City staff, Mayor, and City Council to promote and leverage support for integrating reasonable sustainable practices into our community.
- Maximize the use of City website and related social media to keep public engaged on sustainability.
- Conduct and/or attend educational and public relations programs to promote and expand sustainability programs.
- Compile data, prepare correspondence, records, and reports to document the implementation or modification of rules, laws, and policies relating to recycling and solid waste disposal. Assess the need and draft necessary policies and ordinances to support sustainability efforts.
- Supervise employees and contractors and make recommendations relative to hiring, discharge, layoffs, suspensions, disciplinary actions, adjustment of grievances, and participate in performance evaluations.
- Establish and maintain tracking methods for sustainability goals. Analyze and measure success and cost-effectiveness of programs. Assist departments in development of sustainability metrics specific to their work areas. Prepare audience-specific reports on sustainability program progress.
- Develop and implement a sustainability educational curriculum for the Environmental Education Center. Develop and deliver messaging campaigns on various aspects of sustainability including, but not limited to, waste minimization and energy and water conservation.
- Identify potential funding sources and financial incentives for implementing sustainability projects. Prepare grant applications and partnership proposals, seek sponsorships, and manage grant compliance.
- Perform other such duties and functions as are necessary or incidental to the proper performance of this position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, as well as excellent public presentation skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City staff, elected officials, the business community, and area schools.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of environmental protection and natural resource management.
- Knowledge of necessary principles to incorporate project/program management skills.
- Knowledge of and ability to interpret City, state, and federal regulations pertaining to environmental quality and natural resource management, solid waste disposal, and the handling and disposal of hazardous materials and toxic wastes.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's degree in natural sciences, environmental management, or related degree;
- A demonstrated interest in sustainability;
- Or any such combination of education, experience, and training as may be acceptable to the hiring authority.
- Two years' related experience is preferred.
- Obtain and maintain a 40-hour HAZWOPER certification within one year of hire.
- Must possess or be able to obtain, prior to hire, a valid driver's license.
Compensation: $1,974.40 - $2,377.60 bi-weekly
Application and Selection
Please click "Apply Here!" to apply online. Or, send a resume and a cover letter to:
South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation, 811 East Tenth Street, Department 41, Sioux Falls, SD 57103-1650.
The most qualified will be invited for testing. Special accommodations for application and/or testing or job information in alternative formats available upon request.
Deadline for Filing: Friday, February 8, 2013