Sustainability Communications Specialist - (14000474)
Communications Specialists execute communications strategies that promote the goals and mission of the department, school or division. S/he develops high-quality, effective print materials and messaging, including researching and writing effective communications pieces. S/he creates design and layout of publications; researches, recommends and implements communications and marketing projects and strategies, develops design and content for website, and develops content and strategies for social media communications. This individual evaluates and reports on effectiveness of communications strategies and recommends changes or improvements. S/he monitors budgets, provides guidance to support staff, students and temporary workers, and coordinates work with outside vendors and consultants on projects.
This position will be responsible for managing the Office of Sustainability’s internal and external communications, with the goal of promoting Tufts’ sustainability efforts to the university community and building a culture of environmental sustainability on campus. S/he will be responsible for keeping the sustainability-related messaging at Tufts on target and up-to-date.
S/he will create, as needed, community-based social marketing plans and outreach materials including posters, flyers, prompts, emails, and other materials in support of behavior change initiatives. S/he will communicate Tufts' progress toward its sustainability commitments and regional greenhouse gas goals. In addition, s/he will design and organize outreach events and provide support to other programs run by the Office such as the Eco-Reps and Eco-Ambassadors programs.
Position will be open until filled
Minimum Required Experience, Education, Background, and Certifications/Licenses
1. Years of related experience required: 3-5 years direct experience in communications, marketing, community engagement campaigns, and campus sustainability.
2. Required education: BS/BA in communications, marketing, public relations, business or related communications and marketing field. Coursework or other training in community-based social marketing social marketing, market research and/or behavior change.
3. Special licenses required: N/A
4. Required computer/technical skills: Experience with all Microsoft Office applications and Adobe Creative Suite. Knowledge of HTML or web content management tools
5. Other :
• Project management experience and program evaluation experience.
• Experience in social media management, public relations, design and print production, and website development.
• Excellent communications skills (writing, conflict management, presentation, inter-personal).
• Ability to initiate and implement projects with teams and work independently with little direct oversight.
• Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of environmental sustainability issues, green living, energy conservation, recycling, behavior change strategies, etc.
Additional Preferred Experience, Education, etc.
• Experience with newsletter engines, such as Mailchimp, and web-based collaboration tools (Box, Basecamp, etc.)
• Experience designing and running Community Based Social Marketing (CBSM) campaigns
• Creative, enthusiastic, and entrepreneurial with a high level of energy and initiative
• High degree of flexibility, adaptability and general ability to respond to emerging opportunities in a constantly changing environment
• Well organized and detail oriented
“An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.”
Tufts University is an AA/EO employer and actively seeks candidates from diverse backgrounds. Please see the Tufts University non-discrimination statement.
: United States-Massachusetts-Medford/
: Communications and Marketing
: Office of Sustainability
: Jun 16, 2014, 4:44:53 PM
To apply online, open link and find "Apply" button at bottom of page.