Sustainability Category Manager-A18ZT
About Whirlpool Corporation
Whirlpool is the industry leader in the manufacturing and marketing of home appliances. Whirlpool is a global company and markets Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, Jenn-Air, Amana, Brastemp, Bauknecht, Consul and other major brand names in more than 170 countries around the world.
Whirlpool is a company that creates innovative solutions and products to meet consumer needs. As a result, we have been recognized as one of the world’s 100 most innovative companies by Business Week magazine and the Boston Consulting Group. Additionally, Whirlpool Corporation was ranked among the Top 20 Innovators in Consumer Products by The Patent Board and has been consistently ranked as one of the Top 20 Companies for Leaders by Hewitt Associates and Fortune magazine.
Our unique business strategy provides us with an unmatched leadership position and ability to build and sustain loyalty to our brands. Our strategy allows us to move with greater speed to better serve our trade customer and end consumers around the globe.
Currently, we are seeking qualified candidates for a Sustainability Category Manager position opening to join our North American Marketing team.
Day to Day (what a typical day or week look like in this role)
The Sustainability Category Manager has comprehensive responsibilities for effective execution of the key programs and further refinement of the North American Sustainability strategy (Regulations, Product Energy and Environmental claims and End of Life business management) in a North American context (US, Mexico and Canada). This role will improve product margins, better competitive position, and mitigate risks related to Regulations that affect Whirlpool products and our North American brands. The Sustainability Category Manager will have responsibility to deliver full accountability for Whirlpools end of life management for major and portable appliances. In addition, this position will work in close collaboration with Regional Product Development Managers, Global and Regional Technology teams, the NAR Materials Organization, Government Affairs Teams, and Procurement to manage voluntary energy and environmental product declarations, with a focus on Life Cycle Thinking and Principles.
What You Will Do
- Drive growth and policy compliance execution for Whirlpool’s product end of life programs.
- Implement and execute the organization’s sustainability strategy through thought leadership.
- Interpret Regulations and their impact on business and product plans with the category product development managers to determine the projects (front-end stage or in the development stage) and resources necessary to deliver NAR sustainability strategic priorities.
- Define and deploy category Go To Market strategies for voluntary energy and environmental programs, both internal and external, including support processes and definition of product and trade roadmaps for all product categories in North America. Align with Government Relations and Regional Leaders to ensure consistency across product lines and brands.
- Support the transformation in product category teams into being proactive in implementing Sustainability strategic pillars.
- Identify and leverage best practices by ensuring good cross-functional communication between marketing/sales and other functional groups including advanced development, product engineering, procurement, law department and government relations.
- Complete legacy assessments of current Whirlpool products and voluntary program participation including costs thereof and identify opportunities to improve the sustainability footprint for each category and brand.
What You Need To Succeed
- The ideal candidate will have at minimum a Bachelor’s degree in business or in sustainability / environmental sciences / public policy. An MBA or equivalent masters / experience is preferred.
- Minimum 4 years working knowledge with exposure in operational delivery as well as strategic initiatives is preferred.
- Qualified candidates will have a solid foundation of product development, and design engineering experience, ideally in a high-volume, consumer product, and diverse material content environment.
- The strongest candidates will have demonstrated ability to lead and will possess very good interpersonal, communication and influencing skills. Moreover, the category manager must exhibit professional integrity and a strong ethical foundation.
- Working knowledge of Regulations for end of life and for product energy and environmental declarations and claims.
- Working knowledge of Life Cycle Thinking and key metrics and objectives, including carbon accounting and basic materials usage.
- Demonstrated Thought Leadership and Networking capability
- Delivery of Extraordinary Results
- Track Record of Driving Change or Transformation within and across functional boundaries
- Ability to handle complexity and technical concepts
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including use of Microsoft Office and Excel.
- Self directed work ethic, strong interpersonal skills, and serious ability to multi-task.
- Strong project management skills, confidence, and influence management skills required.
Whirlpool has big plans for the future, just like you. We understand that it takes preparation and hard work to get there. So, we offer challenging purpose, ownership of your role, great teams, and tools to build your capability. In our performance-based setting, you can take your career in exciting new directions – and as far as you want to go.