Maine Audubon, the state’s largest wildlife conservation organization, seeks a summer preschool educator to be based at the Gilsland Farm Audubon Center in Falmouth, Maine. Gilsland Farm Audubon Center, the headquarters of Maine Audubon, includes a visitor center with a Nature Store surrounded by a 65-acre wildlife sanctuary with forest, meadows, pond and marshlands. Over 200 programs throughout the year reach over 10,000 people of all ages.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Overview: Maine Audubon Environmental Educators are key educational and program delivery staff for broad programming and diverse student populations. This position will supervise and ensure a safe, cooperative and fun experience for preschoolers during all activities, and help train, supervise and mentor high school volunteers.
● Teach and support summer preschool programs at Gilsland Farm Audubon Center’s 62-acre wildlife sanctuary in Falmouth.
● Incorporate natural history activities into circle time, crafts, and games.
● Assist with setting up, breaking down and otherwise support multi-use functions of program spaces.
● Maintain records of programs and participants. Collect data on program effectiveness. Organize educational resources.
● Work in collaboration with Lead Educator to develop, evaluate, and improve programming.
● Work with other Maine Audubon education staff to share best practices and align programming with Maine Audubon goals.
● Other duties as assigned.
● Experience leading classes and activities for preschool-aged students in field and/or classroom settings. Experience working in public schools or teaching certification a plus.
● B.A./B.S. or pending in relevant discipline (early childhood education, ecology, environmental studies, etc.); Master’s degree preferred.
● Passion for nature and conservation; enthusiasm for working with children; commitment to the mission and work of Maine Audubon.
● Demonstrated ability to work with young children in a developmentally appropriate way. Past experience leading natural history lessons and/or art, music, theater activities preferred.
● Understanding of or experience with place-based, project-based, service learning, and citizen science approaches to environmental education.
● Collaborative attitude. Experience working with volunteers preferred.
● First Aid/CPR certification (or a commitment to become certified by start of work).
● Must pass a criminal background check.
● Able to often lift objects up to 50 pounds when setting up program space.
● Able to frequently hike all trails on Gilsland Farm property as part of program.
● Able to use hands/fingers to operate computer and other program equipment.
● Able to work outdoors for extended periods of time.
This is a seasonal three-quaters position that may entail additional hours as needed. The 2014 summer season is from June 16-August 22, 2014, including one week of training and one week off (unpaid) in July. Preschool Program runs Tuesday - Friday from 8:30 am-3:30 pm; educator works from 8 am-4 pm.
Kimberly A. Sanders
Phone: (207) 781-6180 x231 Fax: (207) 781-0974
20 Gilsland Farm Road
Falmouth, Maine 04105