The Forest Society is currently seeking two full-time, temporary, 12-week summer stewardship technicians to perform the following tasks: (for a full position description visit www.forestsociety.org)
Job Responsibilities (may include some to all of the following):
• Work alone, with forester or other intern to perform annual boundary line maintenance (60 miles).
• Engage in everyday stewardship activities, which could include trail work, recreation management, property maintenance, or other needs identified by Forest Society Reservation Stewardship staff.
• Assist staff with running volunteer workdays and trainings such as Monadnock Trails Week.
• Work on other forestry and recreation projects as directed.
Desired Qualifications and Experience:
• Ability to work long hours in rough conditions including heat, rain, and rugged terrain
• Ability to use hand tools to perform physically demanding tasks
• Ability to work alone and navigate with map and compass and GPS in sometimes remote locations
• Ability to use a chainsaw and other power tools and equipment (helpful but not required)
• Experience in natural resources field data collection and familiarity with forestry field tools (clinometer, Biltmore stick, d-tape)
• Ability to use ESRI ArcGIS 9/10 software (helpful), Microsoft Excel, Access, and Word
• Must have a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, vehicular insurance, and ability to travel throughout New Hampshire
• Outdoor skills and savvy
• Ability to do an occasional overnight or weekend
• Hourly Wages
• Workers Compensation Insurance
• Mileage reimbursement @ the current federal mileage rate for use of a personal vehicle.
Please email a cover letter, resume and contact information for two references, no later than April 05, 2013 to:
Rita Carroll, Reservation Stewardship Program Coordinator
Society for the Protection of NH Forests
54 Portsmouth St.
Concord, New Hampshire 03301