Founded in 1901, the Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests (The Forest Society) is one of the nation's oldest, largest, and most successful state-based land conservation and forestry organizations. A full-time staff of 40 administers programs in land protection, conservation education, environmental advocacy, and sustainable forest resource management. Reservation Stewardship staff currently oversees the management of 172 properties totaling over 51,000 acres, located in 105 NH communities.
The Forest Society is currently seeking two full-time temporary 10-week summer forestry field technicians to perform the following tasks: (for a full position description visit www.forestsociety.org)
Job Responsibilities (may include some to all of the following):
• Work alone, with forester or other intern to perform boundary line maintenance.
• Engage in everyday stewardship activities, which could include trail work, recreation management, property maintenance, or other needs identified by Forest Society Reservation Stewardship staff.
• Assist staff with running volunteer workdays and trainings such as Monadnock Trails Week.
• Work on other forestry and recreation projects as directed.
Desired Qualifications and Experience:
• Ability to work long hours in rough conditions including heat, rain, and rugged terrain
• Ability to use hand tools to perform physically demanding tasks
• Ability to work alone and navigate with map and compass and GPS in sometimes remote locations
• Ability to use a chainsaw and other power tools and equipment (helpful but not required)
• Experience in natural resources field data collection and familiarity with forestry field tools (clinometer, Biltmore stick, d-tape, basal area angle gauges)
• Ability to use ESRI ArcGIS 9/10 software (helpful), Microsoft Excel, Access, and Word
• Must have a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, vehicular insurance, and ability to travel throughout New Hampshire
• Outdoor skills and savvy
• Ability to do an occasional overnight or weekend
• Hourly Wages
• Workers Compensation Insurance
• Mileage reimbursement @ the current federal mileage rate for use of a personal vehicle.
Please email a cover letter, resume and contact information for two references, no later than April 05, 2013 to:
Society for the Protection of NH Forests