Breakthrough, a nonprofit organization founded in Austin in 2001, builds a path through college, starting in middle school, for low-income students who will be first-generation college graduates. Breakthrough currently serves more than 750 students in grades six through college, and admits an additional 160 students each year. The program includes summer sessions at the University of Texas and in the Manor Independent School District, school year support and advocacy, and comprehensive college counseling.
Breakthrough Austin seeks a talented and enthusiastic program team member who will work collaboratively with the Breakthrough team to design, manage, and deliver program activities that are aligned to best practices in the field of education and youth development. The Summer Director and Coordinator will plan and implement a middle school summer program at one of the summer sites, and will also will also lead out-of-school-time learning and case management activities during the school year.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Design, plan, and lead an academic, six-week summer program for 200 or more students
- Design, plan and lead Saturday and after-school programs to promote school success and foster a college going culture.
- Supervise AmeriCorps members, teaching interns, instructional coaches, and school-year interns to ensure highest performance and optimal student outcomes
- Manage large groups of students to build a positive learning community aligned with Breakthrough’s core values and college-going culture
- Develop and maintain relationships with a diverse group of low-income, students and families
- Track student progress and identify critical needs in order to provide timely and appropriate interventions
- Meet and communicate regularly with parents/families on student progress, including conducting regular student/family conferences
- Strategically develop relationships with key partners, including teachers, school administrators, district leaders, counselors, and leaders of other community-based organizations
- Meet regularly and work collaboratively with other staff members and volunteers in order to support students and families
- Support program evaluation efforts and make continuous program improvements to achieve outcomes
- Perform other duties as required
- Bachelors’ degree from an accredited four-year university required
- 3+ years of teaching or equivalent work experience required
- Supervision, school administration, or instructional coach experience preferred
- Spanish proficiency preferred
- Proven ability to plan, develop, and supervise the implementation of curriculum
- Strong commitment to the mission and values of the organization
- Excellent verbal, written and visual communication skills
- Ability to work with and motivate a broad spectrum of people (ethnic, socioeconomic, educational, professional, and generational)
- Ability to advocate effectively while maintaining positive working relationships
- Ability to work both collaboratively as part of a team effort and independently with minimal supervision
- Willingness and ability to take initiative as appropriate
- Strong desire to learn and grow professionally
- Highly organized with the ability to multi-task and deliver commitments in a timely manner
- Strong work ethic and comfort with working non-standard hours (some weekends and evenings)
- Breakthrough is a fast-paced, needs-responsive environment. While office hours can be flexible, full-time employees work more than 40 hours per week on a regular basis.
- Some evening and weekend work is required
How to apply
Please submit resume, a cover letter describing your interest and qualifications for the position, salary requirements, and a list of three references via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
1050 East 11th Street Suite 350, Austin, TX, 78702, US