Founding Specials Teacher (P.E., Dance, Theater): Immediate Opening
Unlocking Potential is a nonprofit school management organization whose mission is to rapidly transform chronically underperforming district schools into extraordinary schools that sustain high achievement over time. Our turnaround schools ensure that students acquire the knowledge, skills, and strength of character necessary to succeed on the path to college and to achieve their full potential. Unlocking Potential currently operates two schools, UP Academy Charter School of Boston (grades 6-8) and UP Academy Lawrence (Leonard) Middle School (grades 6-8). In fall 2013, Unlocking Potential will open UP Academy Charter School of Dorchester (grades K1-5), and UP Academy Oliver (grade 6). By fall 2013, Unlocking Potential will serve more than 1500 students in Boston and Lawrence.
Teachers hold primary responsibility for the development of curriculum, the instruction of content, and, most importantly, the success of UP Academy’s students.
• Develop and implement curricula to meet academic standards;
• Ensure student mastery of state, city, and school academic and behavioral standards;
• Design and implement assessments that measure progress towards academic standards;
• Use assessment data to refine curriculum and inform instructional practices;
• Participate in curriculum development, grade-level activities, and school-wide functions;
• Provide consistent and high academic and behavioral expectations;
• Communicate effectively with students, families, and colleagues; and
• Participate in an intensive staff orientation and training for up to four weeks prior to the school year and weekly professional development sessions.
• A passionate belief in UP Academy’s mission, values, and educational model;
• An eagerness to set ambitious, challenging, and tangible goals, and a relentless drive to achieve them;
• An ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment and a capacity to remain calm and focused when faced with unexpected challenges;
• Proven track-record of high achievement;
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including strong public speaking skills;
• A sense of humility in the face of success;
• Drive to improve the minds and lives of students in and out of the classroom;
• Bachelor’s degree is required; Master’s degree is preferred;
• A valid Massachusetts Teaching License for the appropriate grade level;
• An ability to meet all state and federal guidelines in order to be fully licensed and “Highly Qualified” according to NCLB; and
• Current authorization to work in the United States ; A candidate must have such authorization by his or her first day of employment.
We offer a competitive compensation package, including, when relevant, a salary equal to (and in some cases above) the district scale and comprehensive health benefits.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for this position, please visit http:www.unlockingpotential.org/careeropportunities.html and formally apply for this position through our on-line application system.
90 Canal St, Suite 610, Boston, Massachusetts, 02114, United States