The YWCA of Queens is an influential nonprofit that meets the needs of low-income individuals and immigrants in one of the most diverse cities in the world. The organization is dedicated to eliminating racism, empowering women, and promoting peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all. YWCA of Queens provides the necessary resources and tools for families to overcome language, cultural, and professional barriers and become economically self-sufficient.
The YWCA of Queens is seeking two part-time Spanish GED teachers for our evening programswhich run Monday-Thursday 6pm-9pm (one GED position, one pre-GED position). Our ideal candidatein addition to meeting the educational/experience qualificationswill be able to design and implement engaging and research-based curriculum, connect with students from diverse backgrounds and age groups, demonstrate experience and understanding of effective literacy practices, and balance lessons with one-on-one instruction.
- Develop an engaging and hands-on curriculum that prepares students to pass the Spanish GED examination.
- Develop and adapt lesson plans and teaching methods to meet participants' varying needs, abilities, and interests.
- Assess students' progress and document student achievement on a monthly basis. Assign and grade class work, homework, and practice examinations.
- Maintain accurate and complete student records as required by laws or administrative policies. Prepare reports/case notes on students and activities as required by administration. (Case notes will include observations of students' limitations, abilities, interests, progress, and other individual characteristics.)
- Meet with other staff members to assess the progress of each participant.
- Review instructional content, methods, and student evaluations to assess strengths and weaknesses, and to develop recommendations for course revision and development. Share innovative ideas to improve the program.
- Implement effective classroom management techniques.
- Maintain high daily attendance and motivate students to succeed.
- Bachelor's degree required. Master's degree preferred.
- Minimum one year experience teaching youth and/or adults in Spanish. This teaching experience must include the development of lesson plans (tutoring experience only will not be considered). Two-three years teaching experience preferred.
- One-two years of Spanish GED or Spanish pre-GED teaching experience preferred.
- Ability to create engaging, effective lessons that successfully prepare students to pass an examination. Ability to use assessments to make instructional decisions.
- Strong knowledge of effective literacy practices.
- Teaching license preferred.
- Ability to work with Out of School Youth (OSY) as well as individuals from different cultural, socioeconomic, and educational backgrounds.
- Ability to motivate students and communicate effectively.
- Ability to effectively document student progress and make instructional decisions based on this data.
How to apply
Please send your resume and cover letter to Stacy McKelvey, Education & Career Services Director, email@example.com. Please put "Spanish GED Teacher" in the email subject line. All interested applicants should apply as soon as possible. Interviews will be ongoing. We must have a teacher hired by January 3rd.
42-07 Parsons Blvd., Flushing, NY, 11355, US