Employment Opportunity: Social Worker - Family Defense Practice
The Bronx Defenders – an innovative, progressive, holistic public defender office in the South Bronx – seeks a Masters level Social Worker with a commitment to social justice to work on behalf of parents fighting allegations of child abuse and neglect in Bronx County Family Court. The Bronx Defenders' collaborative approach brings together interdisciplinary teams made up of criminal defense, family defense and civil lawyers (housing, employment, immigration), as well as social workers, investigators, and parent advocates to address both the legal needs and the underlying issues driving clients into the system and preventing them from leaving.
The Bronx Defenders is seeking a thoughtful and dedicated social worker to work in our Family Defense Practice. This social worker is an integral part in the representation of parents from poor communities charged with the abuse/neglect of their children. The social worker will be part of an interdisciplinary team of lawyers and other advocates, and will assist in the development of a litigation strategy for the parent, as well as connect him or her with the necessary services and supports.
- Advocating for clients in Bronx County Family Court
- Interviewing and assessing clients
- Preparing clients for assessments
- Interpreting external assessments
- Educating clients about the family court process and assisting them in overcoming barriers
- Testifying in court
- Liaison between the family court, criminal court, and child welfare systems
- Providing supportive counseling to clients and their families
- Connecting clients with a wide variety of social services and benefits
- M.S.W. from an accredited School of Social Work
- Experience working on behalf of parents in the child welfare system
- Bilingual candidates are highly encouraged to apply (Spanish/English)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- A demonstrated interest in working in the Family Court and/or Criminal Justice System
- Commitment to social justice with an understanding of the issues of race and poverty as they relate to the justice system
- Knowledge of substance abuse, domestic violence, parenting and mental health systems
The Bronx Defenders is an equal opportunity employer: persons of color; women; people with disabilities; gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people; and persons having personal experience with the Criminal Justice and Family Court systems are encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Interested and qualified applicants should submit a résumé and cover letter (preferably in one document) via email by Friday, March 21, 2014. Applications should be emailed to email@example.com with the words "FDP Social Worker" in the subject line. Each Applicant will be notified, shortly after the deadline for applications, whether or not an invitation to interview with The Bronx Defenders will be extended. APPLICATIONS WITHOUT COVER LETTERS WILL NOT BE PROCESSED.
PLEASE NOTE: ALL INTERVIEWS WILL TAKE PLACE AT THE BRONX DEFENDERS JUSTICE CAMPUS IN BRONX, NEW YORK.
For any questions please contact Velvet J. Sanchez, Recruiting & Hiring Associate, via email only at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Velvet J. Sanchez
360 East 161st Street, Bronx, NY, 10451, US