Location: 50 East 168th Street, Bronx, NY 10452
Reports to: Director of Head Start
The Women's Housing and Economic Development Corporation (WHEDco), a Bronx-based nonprofit housing and community development organization, seeks a Social Service Coordinatorto join its Early Learn/Head Start Department. WHEDco has worked for over twenty years to build a more beautiful, equitable, and economically vibrant Bronx. We reach over 35,000 people annually through energy-efficient, healthy and affordable homes; early childhood education and youth development; home-based childcare microenterprise and food business incubation; family support services; and free arts and cultural programming. See www.whedco.org for more information.
The Social Service Coordinator is a professional position responsible for the coordination of the Social Services/Parent Engagement components of the Head Start Program. The Social Service Coordinator will plan, implement, coordinate and advocate for the delivery of services for preschool children and their families. S/he will enhance parent-child relationships, improve child development outcomes, ensure preventative health care, and facilitate parental self-sufficiency through education, employment, and personal support systems.
- Develops and maintains a system whereby children and families enrolled in the program are provided with comprehensive child and family development services either by the program or through referral to other agencies
- Supervises Family Workers for intake and maintains appropriate ongoing documentation of the child and family file. Maintains and tracks children's health records. Maintains confidentiality.
- Assists in applying established criteria in the selection of program participants and coordinates enrollment procedures.
- Orients parents in the philosophy, policies, and practices of parent involvement in a Head Start program.
- Acts as a liaison between parents and other community and inter-agency programs to address family and program needs.
- An Associate's Degree or minimum of 60 college credits in Social Work, Early Childhood Education or a related field.
- A minimum of one year of experience working with children and families.
- Proven ability to read, write and speak clearly in English. Strong skill in a second language is a plus.
- Demonstrated leadership ability in the area of supervision.
- Proven ability to use outreach techniques and advocate on behalf of parents and children.
- Knowledge of social service, welfare reform, immigration, housing and other resources in the community.
- General knowledge of computer and clerical practices.
- Strong organizational and communications skills.
- Satisfactory completion of required medical examination and screening procedures.
How to apply
To respond, send a cover letter and resume to one of the following:
Mail: WHEDco, 50 East 168th Street, Bronx, NY10452
Attn: Director of Head Start
WHEDco is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Director of Head Start
50 East 168th Street, Bronx, NY, 10452, US