Angie's Shelter for Women is a homelike residence beyond the minimums of an emergency shelter and a strong base to fulfill this mission: "Angie's provides a safe environment and supports personal development to achieve self sufficiency for homeless women committed to change." Angie's Shelter for Women assists homeless women who have already progressed through a goal plan and are closing in on self-sufficiency and only women may be staff at Angie's. Angie's is one of the programs at New Horizons for New Hampshire.
New Horizons is an adult homeless shelter, a soup kitchen and a food pantry. For Shelter clients, many more services are available than simply a safe place to stay and meals. On site, clients have access to case management services, referral services, medical services, mental health services, substance abuse counseling, Alcoholics Anonymous meetings and Narcotics Anonymous meetings.
The Shelter Support Staff intakes homeless individuals coming into the shelters and monitors shelter activities to provide a safe, non-threatening environment for all guests.
The ideal candidate must be prompt and reliable, be a clear communicator, and have an ability to calmly respond well in crisis situations. Shelter Staff must maintain high energy during times when the schedule is fast-paced and be alert at times when all is quiet. All staff must have a valid driver's license and pass a criminal background check.
• Oversees the shelter during each scheduled shift and monitors clients for compliance with house rules and guidelines while maintaining respect for the dignity of all guests.
• Opens and closes the shelter and shelter activities according to procedures so that clients' needs are met and the shelter functions safely and effectively.
• Performs security checks each shift and reports maintenance needs/safety concerns to the Shelter Manager.
• Maintain records in both a written log and via computer, the successful applicant must be basically computer literate.
• Performs all duties according to established policies and procedures of NHNH.