Qualifications: Prefer a minimum of one year experience working with homeless individuals in a shelter environment. Ability to relate well to others; ability to work independently. Spanish-speaking helpful. Education related to serving marginalized populations or in the social services very helpful.
Responsibilities: The Shelter Worker is responsible for the health and safety of program participants. This is accomplished through a thorough understanding and execution of facility policies and protocols
- Be available to welcome new participants and supervise move-ins and move-outs as needed.
- Work cooperatively with other staff in assisting clients toward the goals of permanent housing and stable income.
- Notify Case Management staff in case of emergency relating to shelter participants, including illegal activity, violence, failure to observe critical rules and medical emergency.
- Call police or other appropriate authorities if social work staff cannot be reached, or an emergency response required.
- Provide information and emergency supplies to clients as needed.
- Identify and inform Associate Program Director or Program Director regarding maintenance issues.
- Daily: Read the logbook and make notations; complete other record-keeping duties as necessary. Meet with Associate and/or Program Director as scheduled; attend Staff meetings, assigned trainings, and other meetings as needed.
- Monitor client activities within the shelter; maintain a safe and supportive atmosphere; ensure client adherence to program rules, especially regarding clean and sober behavior.
- Monitor night and weekend activity at program site to ensure that rules are observed by participants; monitor and record arrivals and departures of client families.
- Maintain cordial relations with neighbors.
- Distribute mail to clients on the weekends.
- Take messages off client and office phones as assigned.
- Assist with chore completion and clean-up as needed.
- Assist with organizations of supplies and donations and assist in maintaining current inventory of supplies and donations.
- Assist with evening volunteer activities as assigned.
- Accept donations on weekends or as needed.
- Maintain a clean and sober environment
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
How to apply
Application process: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a custom cover letter and resume with “Shelter Worker, MSI/JSI” as the subject line.
181 Constitution Drive, Menlo Park, CA, 94025, US