DESC is currently recruiting for a Shelter Supervisor for swing shift and two Assistant Supervisors, one for night and one for swing to lead the night shift at our downtown shelter. For many homeless adults, our Emergency Shelter Program is their first contact with our comprehensive service network. Each night, 279 men and women find refuge in our three shelters where they are able to escape the danger, fear, and discomfort of living on the streets, for at least a short time. During the day, the main emergency shelter becomes a drop-in center where people can seek refuge from the elements and access food, showers, hygiene items, clean clothes, and mail pick-up. In this way, a tooth brush or a simple meal become tools of engagement, creating an opportunity for staff to gain a client’s attention and trust.
The Shelter Supervisor at the Shelter is a member of a 24 hours a day, 7 days a week multi-disciplinary team of professionals responsible for ensuring the safe and orderly operations of the DESC Shelter providing emergency shelter and support for homeless people and those needing crisis interventions.
- Experience in human services, preferably working with homeless adults, the economically disadvantaged, mentally ill or chemically dependent.
- BA in social/human services, preferred.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with staff from various backgrounds and disciplines.
- Ability to work effectively with clients displaying a wide range of unpleasant and/or bizarre behavior.Demonstrated crisis management abilityDemonstrated crisis management abilityDemonstrated crisis management ability
Go to www.desc.org/joinourteam/for a detailed job description and salary information.
How to apply
- A cover letter stating why you would like to work for DESC is required. Please also include a resume of paid and/or volunteer work experience and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Email attachments will not be accepted unless they are in a format readable by MS Word or Adobe Reader. Attachments in such format as .wps or .jpeg will not be accepted.
- You may also mail your cover letter and resume to: DESC, ATTN: Human Resources, 515 Third Avenue, Seattle, WA 98104, or fax to (206) 515-1501.
The Downtown Emergency Service Center is committed to diversity in the workplace, and promotes equal employment opportunities for all staff members and applicants. DESC will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, or the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability in any employment practice, unless based on a bona fide occupational qualification. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
515 Third Avenue, Seattle, WA, 98104, US