DESC is currently recruiting for a Shelter Project Assistant, to join the housing team.
For many homeless adults, the DESC Emergency Shelter Program is their first contact with our comprehensive service network. Each night, 279 men and women find refuge in our three shelters where they are able to escape the danger, fear, and discomfort of living on the streets, for at least a short time. In 2009 alone, this Emergency Shelter Program provided 97,000 bed-nights of shelter and 66,000 meals for more than 4,800 clients. During the day, the main emergency shelter becomes a drop-in center where people can seek refuge from the elements and access food, showers, hygiene items, clean clothes, and mail pick-up. In this way, a tooth brush or a simple meal become tools of engagement, creating an opportunity for staff to gain a client's attention and trust.
The Shelter Project Assistant provides support to the Shelter Project Manager in day-to-day management of the shelter including activities related to a variety of schedules and calendars, maintaining supplies needed for operations and selected aspects of the Shelter Program.
The Shelter Project Assistant at the Shelter is a member of a 24 hours a day, 7 days a week multi-disciplinary team of professionals responsible for ensuring the safe and orderly operations of the DESC Shelter providing emergency shelter and support for homeless people and those needing crisis interventions.
- BA degree in social services or behavioral science. Extensive relevant work experience may be substituted for a degree, plus two years experience with coordination responsibilities.
- Two years experience working with homeless, mentally ill, or chemically dependent adults.
- Strong computer application skills.
- Ability to drive agency van, valid Washington State Driver's license and insurable driving record, preferred.
Ability to communicate and work effectively with staff from various backgrounds and disciplines. Go to www.desc.org/joinourteam/for a detailed job description and salary information.
How to apply
- Submit a cover letter detailing your reasons for applying for this position, along with a resume, to email@example.com.
- Email attachments will not be accepted unless they are in a format readable by MS Word or Adobe Reader. Attachments in formats such as .wps or .jpeg will not be accepted.
- You may also mail your cover letter and resume to: DESC, ATTN: Human Resources, 515 Third Avenue, Seattle, WA 98104, or fax to (206) 515-1501.
The Downtown Emergency Service Center is committed to diversity in the workplace, and promotes equal employment opportunities for all staff members and applicants. The Agency will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, or the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability in any employment practice, unless based on a bona fide occupational qualification. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
fax to (206) 515-1501.
515 Third Avenue, Seattle, Washington, 98104, United States