The Shale Gas Organizer will be responsible for implementing Clean Air Council's outreach, organizing, and education work related to proposed natural gas infrastructure projects in Pennsylvania. The organizer will work to build the capacity of the public to meaningfully participate in the regulatory process and build the capacity of local leaders to be able to organize other residents outside the regulatory process. The organizer will track the progress of new and existing shale gas projects and translate complex information in a way that is useful to the public to use in advocacy on the issues. The organizer's work will complement the legal and regulatory oversight of the Council's legal team. The organizer will report directly to the Community Outreach Director.
- Create or raise awareness about online and on-the-ground opportunities for public action on natural gas infrastructure projects
- Educate the public about proposed gas infrastructure through presentations and educational materials
- Facilitate strategy sessions to help residents plan local campaign on shale gas infrastructure
- Launch social media campaigns on proposed shale gas projects
- Attend public events to share information and mobilize people on the issue
- Conduct media outreach on gas infrastructure projects as needed
Minimum Job Requirements
This position requires a bachelor's degree plus at least 2 years of organizing and/or community outreach experience. Must have excellent research, written and oral communications skills, and be especially skilled at giving educational presentations. Previous experience working on or leading issue campaigns a plus. Social media skills a plus. Must have a valid driver's license.
Substantial travel required. Must be comfortable working in a crowded and sometimes noisy working environment.
This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job and not meant to be a comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities and tasks. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder might differ from those outlined in this description and additional duties, as assigned, might be part of the job.
How to apply
If you are qualified for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to Matt Walker, Community Outreach Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject "CAC Shale Gas Organizer Application_LAST NAME."
135 South 19th Street, Philadelphia, PA, 19103, US