The National Alliance on Mental Illness of New York City (NAMI-NYC Metro), a nonprofit organization that provides support, education, and advocacy for individuals and their families impacted by mental illness, is seeking an individual for the position of Services Director.
This position requires a personal appreciation of and commitment to the value of family and peer support in mental health recovery. It offers the opportunity to coordinate and expand the offering of NAMI signature peer support and educational programs across New York City and to be creative in developing new approaches to this work. The person in this position will find tremendous gratification in seeing the growth of individuals impacted by mental illness as they participate in these programs then again as some of those participants become ready to train to offer this support to others.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to the following:
Oversight of two contracts with NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene:
- Family Support contract, through which NAMI-NYC Metro serves as the Family Support Liaison Center, and provides support, education, and advocacy for family members of children, adolescents and youth with behavioral issues and/or mental illness as well as youth (18-24) with mental illness
- Advocacy contract, which provides support, education, and advocacy programs and services for adults with mental illness and family members of adults with mental illness.
Additional contract responsibilities include preparation of monthly Levels of Service and program audit materials.
Family Support Liaison Center (FSLC) responsibilities (the FSLC provides support to family resource centers around the city ; as well as support and educational services to parents-as defined by Family Support contract with NYC DOHMH) :
- Oversee FSLC family programs and FSLC Leadership Institute (the Leadership Institute offers programs to develop family advocacy and leadership skills);
- Oversee initiatives to provide family support services to family members, youth, and child serving agencies, including the Administration for Children’s Services (ACS);
- Supervise FSLC staff;
- Establish and maintain relationships with the Family Support Network and attend meetings as required;
- Attend contract related meetings.
- Ensure that all Helpline hours are covered by trained Helpline volunteers, with appropriate staff backup;
- Provide for ongoing education and development of Helpline volunteers in the form of one-to-one meetings, group training sessions and in-service with outside mental health professionals;
- Manage the development of Helpline resources and materials, and keep Helpline volunteers up-to-date on current information;
- Provide crisis intervention when necessary;
- Monitor record keeping.
Support Groups and Educational Courses:
- Provide administrative and developmental support to all volunteer support group facilitators and manage support group meetings’ schedules and venues;
- Coordinate communication efforts to publicize groups;
- In consultation with Executive Director, develop new support groups;
- Coordinate and co-facilitate bi-monthly support group for support group facilitators;
- Update facilitators regularly on new resource information;
- Supervise the Family to Family and Peer to Peer coordinator;
- Oversee planning for training of new facilitators for NAMI educational programs.
- In consultation with Executive Director, develop and manage collaborations and pilot programs with Medicaid managed care organizations and Health Homes;
- In consultation with Executive Director and the Urban Justice Center, develop and manage pilot psychoeducational program for caregivers living with mental illness;
- Perform outreach presentations to community partners and funders as needed.
- MSW, or equivalent, with a minimum of five years experience
- Parent of individual who developed mental illness in childhood or adolescence and had experience in children’s mental health system
- Able to work collaboratively
- Administrative and program management skills/experience
- Strong presentation skills
- Basic Word and Excel skills
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Sense of humor
How to apply
If you believe that you are a good fit for this position, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line: Services Director Application. Salary commensurate with experience. No phone calls please.
505 Eighth Avenue, Suite 1103, New York, NY, 10018, US