Sustainability efforts have been underway on the Harvard campus for decades, and today sustainability is a key University priority led by the Office for Sustainability (OFS) and supported by the administration and faculty, students, and staff across the Schools and units. Harvard is consistently ranked as one of the top campus sustainability programs in the country (Princeton Review, and Sierra Club rankings), and was one of the first such programs when the first office was formed in 2000. Our goal is to lead the University in achieving its sustainability goals and to capitalize on the legacy of learning and discovery at Harvard by using the campus as a living laboratory for sustainability best practices.
Visit the Office for Sustainability website, http://www.green.harvard.edu for more information.
The Senior Sustainability Coordinator will be part of the Core Team at the Office for Sustainability and will work on University-wide initiatives.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Senior Sustainability Coordinator will provide project management expertise and coordination for a variety of university-wide sustainability programs. This position will work with a range of stakeholders across the university, especially including facilities leaders, senior administrators, faculty, and students.
Reporting to the Director, this position's responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Facilitate working groups and advisory groups relating to Harvard's Greenhouse Gas Reduction Goal and other programs:
- Serve as primary OFS staff member working with the group
- Project Manage working groups and work with group chairs and OFS Director to develop strategy, working group expectations and meeting agendas and plans, and materials
- Help scope out recommendations/deliverables.
- Work with staff, faculty and student members of the groups
- Conduct research, background materials, etc. in support of the group
- Coordinate senior level oversight committees, including the GHG Executive Committee and the Sustainability and Energy Management Council (SEMC).
- Work with Co-Chairs to develop strategy and implementation plans for the Committees
- Prepare materials, powerpoint presentations, deliverables
- Conduct research, prepare reports and case studies, and compile best practices as they relate to the GHG Reduction Goal implementation
- Manage meeting logistics, including scheduling, identifying rooms, following up with attendees and speakers, etc.
- Manage event planning and logistics for major meetings, large university-wide events.
- Coordinate and communicate with speakers, manage outreach contacts lists and outreach emails and other marketing needs, identify rooms and manage logistics.
- Serve as the OFS Office Manager including working with Director and Assistant Directors on:
- Onboarding new employees and human resources needs, and office set-up,
- Serving as the building liaison for administrative related activities,
- Managing scheduling for Director,
- Answering administrative related questions for the staff and community, and any other general office needs,
- Responding to the OFS general email and phone inquiries.
- Partner with members of the core team to provide project management or support for a variety of university-wide programs including GHG Reduction Implementation, Sustainability Report, community partnerships, event planning and any other projects as needed.
- Support the Director on other university-wide sustainability projects as needed.
- BA/BS required and 3-5 years of experience or MA/MS and 2-3 years of experience
- Proven project management and organizational skills and attention to detail, ability to juggle multiple projects in a fast paced environment.
- Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of environmental sustainability issues, green building, energy conservation, recycling, etc.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and outreach skills
- Ability to work with Senior Executives and a wide array of other stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to take projects from concept through implementation
- Ability to research new areas and learn quickly
- Demonstrated good judgment and ability to make informed decisions
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- High degree of flexibility, adaptability and general ability to respond to emerging opportunities and barriers in a constantly changing environment
- Must be positive, creative, enthusiastic, collaborative and entrepreneurial with a high level of energy and initiative
- Preferred basic knowledge of energy, carbon accounting and alternative mechanisms, GHG emissions programs, Scope 3, etc.
- Experience in campus (or other institution) sustainability or institutional change preferred
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher and ability to learn software as needed
Technology Skills Required:
Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Publisher is required. An ability to learn Harvard systems and web software quickly is a requirement.
Harvard University is a private university in Cambridge, Massachusetts, U.S., and a member of the Ivy League. Founded in 1636 by the colonial Massachusetts legislature, Harvard is the oldest institution of higher learning in the United States. It is also the first and oldest corporation in North America.
- May 29, 2013
- Mid-Senior level
- Other, Consulting, Project Management
- Higher Education
- Job ID:
Human Resources Department