Senior Communications Manager
Reports to: Director of Development and Communications
The mission of Wild Salmon Center (WSC) is to promote the conservation and sustainable use of wild salmon ecosystems across the Pacific Rim. We identify science-based solutions to sustain wild salmon ecosystems and the human communities that depend on them. WSC is based in the Jean Vollum Natural Capital Center in Portland, Oregon.
The Senior Communications Manager is a regular, full-time position. The person in this position is responsible for managing the overall communication strategies and activities of Wild Salmon Center. S/he is responsible for ensuring the creation and implementation of short and long-term communication plans that will strategically advance WSC's conservation objectives. The ideal candidate will have excellent communication and writing skills and significant experience in communications, public relations and/or marketing. S/he should also have a proven record of developing and implementing successful internal and external strategic communication plans.
- Planning, managing, and implementing WSC's overall communication strategies and activities to support WSC's conservation programs and enhance the visibility of the organization;
- Developing and implementing annual communication plans that support organizational goals and outline communication activities, materials, and performance indicators;
- Working with WSC team members to:
- develop specific communication objectives that will help achieve programmatic objectives;
- identify target audiences; and
- determine the best communication activities and messages that will support and advance conservation initiatives;
- Writing, editing, and carefully crafting messages for a diverse group of audiences and overseeing collateral pieces including WSC's Annual Report, newsletters, website content, and other materials as needed;
- Serving as WSC's primary public relations representative by building relationships with national and international media, earning media, and acting as a liaison between reporters and staff;
- Overseeing the organization's digital communication, including WSC's website and social media platforms, and utilizing new technologies and tools when strategically relevant; and
- Providing leadership and helping oversee WSC's communications function with the potential to supervise and manage staff, interns, and outside consultants.
Position Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor's degree required. Master's degree and/or 5 years or more of communications experience preferred.
- Proven ability to develop communication strategies and plans related to organizational goals in collaboration with a diverse team of colleagues and partners.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills and ability to write for a variety of audiences. Strong editing and proofreading skills.
- Ability to translate complex scientific, technical and policy language into language easily comprehensible to lay people and non-experts.
- Knowledge of media operations and experience in the field of public relations.
- Experience developing and using strategic messaging to support and bolster organizational branding efforts.
- Experience designing and using communication strategies that measurably influence the opinions, decisions, and actions of target audiences.
- Ability to successfully prioritize and manage multiple projects while adhering to firm deadlines.
- Familiarity with conservation and/or salmon and fisheries issues a plus.
The compensation package includes a competitive salary and excellent fringe benefits package, including retirement, medical and dental plan. Flexible spending account, life insurance and disability coverage is also provided. The salary offered is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
How to apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com "Senior Communications Manager" in the email subject line.
721 NW Ninth Avenue, Suite 300, Portland, OR, 97209, US