Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualiï¬ed applicants to lead, educate, and inspire urban high school students from Seattle for the summer.
Seattle and Edmonds Crews: July 7 ; August 15, 2014
- Co-Lead a commuting crew of 10 members, ages 15-19
- Schedule runs Mon-Fri for six consecutive weeks
- Facilitate job readiness & youth leadership skills while working on trails & habitat restoration projects in Seattle’s public parks.
WA State National Parks Crews: July 6 ; Aug 31, 2014
- Co-Lead a residential trail crew of 8 members, ages 15-19
- Three sessions of 15 day crews throughout the summer ; work one or all three
- Facilitate youth leadership & development skills while working on trails &habitat restoration projects on WA State’s public lands
- Follow all SCA policies & procedures as required for the position
- Manage budget and necessary purchasing for crew and project
- Manage relationship with agency partner
- Facilitate crew operations: tools & equipment, work schedule, etc.
- Manage all medical and ï¬rst aid aspects
- Communicate with full time SCA ï¬eld staff as required
- Supervise crew members during the work day
- Train & supervise Crew Members in safe and proper tool use
- Organize & lead recreation trip after completion of work project
- Complete required program reporting and documentation
- Be at least 21 years old
- Must have ability to legally work in the US
- Valid driver’s license
- Successful completion of criminal background check & MVR check within SCA guidelines
- Must possess current First Aid certiï¬cation & CPR by the start of the orientation training.
- Documented experience working with urban youth or young adults (ages 14-18)
- Experience as a teacher or leader in an informal or formal educational environment
- Preferred experience with conservation work skills or related skills, i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening.
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more.
- Attend Mandatory Leader training June 2 ; June 13, 2014 OR June 16 ; June 27, 2014.
- Must have personal housing arrangements in Seattle or surrounding area.
Total program salary up to $3,450 on Seattle & Edmonds Crews or up to $5,175 on WA State Crews depending on experience & crew length. Paid Crew Leader Training & Work Skills (travel, food & lodging provided).
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org
How to apply
To Apply: Click Login or Sign Up. Create a proï¬le, complete the basic application and then select the Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume & 3 references. Once your application is complete, please email email@example.com with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application. Contact scaSeattle@thesca.org or (206)-496-1286 with any programmatic questions.