- Do you want to change the face of education?
- Do you believe that all students can achieve?
- Are you committed to the transformation of disconnected, underserved youth?
The Phoenix Charter Academy Network currently operates two high schools in Massachusetts- a charter school in Chelsea and an in-district school in Lawrence- with plans to open additional schools in the coming years. The Phoenix Network is the only network of schools in Massachusetts that operates both charter and traditional, in-district schools. Because of this we are at the forefront of education in Massachusetts. Because of our students' outstanding MCAS scores- 86% proficiency in English and 72% in math- we are at the forefront of alternative education in Massachusetts.
Phoenix Academy Lawrence opened in August 2012. It currently serves 125 students, but will grow to serve 175 students in the 2013-2014 school year. Phoenix prepares our students for college through a rigorous academic curriculum (AP courses, small class sizes, one-on-one tutoring) and intensive socio-emotional supports (student support team, school-wide incentive systems, social workers).
The mission of Phoenix Academy, and all Phoenix schools, is to challenge teenagers with an academically rigorous and individually tailored curriculum. Talented students who have not succeeded in other schools will have the support, resources and training needed at PCA to succeed academically in high school and college, and become economically secure in their future. Phoenix Charter Academy is named after a mythological figure of strength, healing and renewal. We believe in the capacity of our students to regain control of their academic future and recast themselves as strong, independent and self-sufficient adults.
We specifically target students who have dropped out, were previously truant, are parents, are recent immigrants, or have not seen academic success in regular public schools. Despite these challenges, Phoenix students are achieving at high levels, outpacing their district peers, and entering and succeeding in college. Phoenix Chelsea, the Network's first school, was named "a model to be replicated" in June of 2009 by WBUR's "Project Dropout" series and "an inspiration for kids to dream big" by the Boston Globe.
To learn more about our network and individual schools, check out our website at www.phoenixcharteracademy.org.
We are looking for a mission-driven, hard-working, entrepreneurial individual to be the Humanities, Math, Science, or ESL Teacher at our Lawrence campus for the 2013-2014 school year.
All teachers at Phoenix Academy are academic game-changers for our scholars. They go above and beyond expectations to ensure that our students are academically and socio-emotionally prepared for success beyond high school and through college.
Curriculum and Instruction
- Develop and implement creative, student-centered lessons to four core-block classes Monday through Friday.
- Employ creative methods to reach all learners (before and after school tutoring, lunch review sessions, hands-on lessons).
- Differentiate instruction for leaners of all skill levels. Collaborate with other departments (Academic Support, ESL) to ensure effective instruction for all students.
- Utilize micro and macro student data to inform all instruction.
Individual Professional Development
- Collaborate with other teachers, staff, and leaders during weekly professional development, departmental meetings, and supervision.
- Commit to growing professionally through consistent and constant feedback and reflection. Remain humble and relentless while receiving this feedback.
- Share curriculum materials with coworkers using online storage system. Utilize and effectively adapt materials provided to you through this storage system.
- Engage with students, teachers, and other staff in a way that promotes a safe and diverse environment. Continuously evaluate the quality of diverse perspectives, traditions, cultures, and backgrounds found in our curriculum.
School and Staff Culture
- Internalize mission and make it central to all decisions and actions inside and outside of the classroom.
- Create a positive, safe, and professional learning environment for all students.
- Create personal, warm relationships with all students, always holding hope for them.
- Acknowledge positive student behavior or achievement and reward students during class and school community meetings.
- Communicate regularly with parents/adult supporters through phone calls, email correspondence, and/or in-person meetings.
- Bachelor's Degree required
- Deep and unwavering belief in the mission of Phoenix Lawrence
- Zealot-like dedication to getting and keeping high-risk youth in school
- Willing to do whatever it takes- including nights and weekends- to change alternative education
- Proven record of successfully leading others, taking initiative, and ensuring student achievement
- Demonstrates urgency in all aspects of the job
How to apply
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
If you are applying as a science teacher put "Science Teacher-Lawrence" in the title. If you are applying as a humanities teacher put "Humanities Teacher-Lawrence" in the title. If you are applying as a Math teacher put "Math Teacher-Lawrence" in the title. If you are applying as an ESL teacher put "ESL Teacher-Lawrence" in the title.
We will contact you if your qualifications match our needs. No phone calls or letters please.
The Phoenix Charter Academy Network does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation or disability.