The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) advances human well-being, environmental conservation and equity by conducting research to help shape policies and practices that affect forests in developing countries. CIFOR is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Asia, Africa and South America.
CIFOR is looking for a Science Editor/Writer
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) is seeking an experienced Science Editor/Writer to work alongside CIFOR's communications team in Bogor, Indonesia. Reporting to the Social Media Coordinator, the Science Editor/Writer will be responsible for editing "Forests News", CIFOR's influential blog on forestry research. Among other tasks, the Science Editor/Writer will edit articles, manage a pool of freelance writers, liaise with scientists and write for the blog. The Science Editor/Writer will also collaborate with the Social Media Coordinator and the Outreach Manager to devise new and innovative ways of communicating CIFOR's research to an engaged general audience of forestry stakeholders, including policy makers, journalists, academics, students and government officials.
- Assist in conceptualizing, assigning and editing content for the "Forests News" blog and other CIFOR communications outputs.
- Manage a small pool of freelance writers.
- Write articles for the blog and other outlets.
- Liaise with scientists to ensure accuracy and evidence base of articles.
- Review and edit articles for clarity, accuracy, fairness and tone, in accordance with CIFOR style.
- Check and source all facts and citations, inserting hyperlinks where applicable.
- Undertake other editorial tasks as necessary, including writing assignments.
- A passionate communicator who enjoys finding ways to convey complex research findings to broad audiences
- At least 10 years' experience as an editor for a scientific or science-related publication
- Keen diplomatic skills and a sense of humor
- A strong understanding of the uses of visual media and social media
- A strong understanding of environmental issues, preferably related to forests and climate change
- Keen to travel globally
- Demonstrated experience with scientific research papers and in working with scientists
- Fluency in English; other international languages an asset.
Terms and conditions
- The appointment will be for a period of 1 year with a possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
- The duty station will be at CIFOR headquarters in Bogor, Indonesia.
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
- The application deadline is 15 September 2013.
Please send your letter of interest, CV and writing sample, to:
Human Resources Department, CIFOR firstname.lastname@example.org
Please indicate the position title in the email subject line.
Human Resources Department, CIFOR
CIFOR, Jalan CIFOR, Situ Gede, Bogor, Jawa Barat, 16115, Indonesia