St. Nicks Alliance is a nonprofit, nonsectarian community-based organization founded in 1975 with the mission to serve as a catalyst to improve the quality of life of residents in the communities of Williamsburg-Greenpoint in Brooklyn through its work in five main areas: housing, healthcare, workforce development, economic development and youth and education
The St. Nicks’ Division of Youth and Education is looking for After-School Group Leaders to work at our afterschool programs at two Cornerstone Community Centers in NYCHA housing complexes in Brooklyn. In addition, we are looking for Teen Program Counselors for evening / weekend Teen Program activities.
Group Leaders will plan and implement social, recreational, and educational activities for students in grades K through 8. Candidates with experience and talent teaching specific activities or theme-based clubs including sports, arts, STEM, or literacy are encouraged to apply and highlight those talents and experience. Teen Program staff will plan and implement recreational, leadership development, and post-secondary planning activities for young people ages 13-21.
- Serve as a positive role model for participants.
- Demonstrate professional behavior at all times.
- Develop positive, caring relationships with young people and families.
- Utilize youth development principles to enhance program quality and support growth in young people.
- Collaborate with co-workers and program supervisors around effective program operations; uphold all safety standards and procedures.
- Actively participate in training and professional development to continuously improve on quality.
Afterschool Group Leaders
- Actively monitor and engage participants during all program activities, including pick-up, snack, homework help, transitions, field trips, clubs, activities, and dismissal.
- Plan and facilitate purposeful and engaging activities including literacy, science, recreation, and on-going theme-based projects catered to the age, stage and interests of participants.
- Assist participants with homework; encourage academic effort and efficacy.
Teen Program Staff
- Plan and facilitate a range of educational, recreational, leadership development, and post-secondary prep activities for young people ages 13-21
- Conduct outreach and recruitment with community young people to engage them in the community center programs
- High School diploma; current college student strongly preferred.
- One year Afterschool or Teen Program work experience, one full summer camp work experience, or two years related experience.
- Interest and experience in youth development, academic enrichment and arts.
- A genuine enthusiasm for developing professional skills through training opportunities, observation, coaching, and feedback.
- Availability between 2:30-6:00 p.m.; 15 hours per week Monday-Friday (some flexibility) during the school year. Or, availability in evenings (6-10 p.m.) and Saturdays for teen programs.
- Ability to communicate effectively and respectfully with a broad range of people including school staff and parents.
- Ability to meet School Age Child Care (SACC) requirements including background check and medical clearance.
How to apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “After School Group Leader” or “Teen Program Staff” in subject line. Please indicate your availability (afternoon and / or evening / weekend), and please highlight any special talents that you have experience teaching young people.
2 Kingsland Avenue, Brooklyn, NY, 11211, US