Natural Resources Group (NRG) is a division within NYC Parks & Recreation (Parks) and is responsible for acquisition, protection, restoration, and management of remnant and restored natural areas within the nearly 29,000 acres of City parkland. NRG develops natural area management and restoration programs and provides technical research that aids in the protection of the City's natural resources. The Wetlands Team within NRG focuses on the assessment, management and restoration of wetlands and riparian resources. NRG works in partnership with the newly established Natural Areas Conservancy (NAC), founded to preserve and enhance urban natural areas in NYC.
NRG's Wetlands Team has a full time 1.5-2 year position available as a Salt Marsh Field Research Manager, to assess salt marsh conditions at sites across New York City, leading a crew of field assistants and working with NRG and NAC staff. This position is funded by a grant from the U.S. EPA to assess the vulnerability of salt marsh to Sea Level Rise and other threats and to identify priorities for management action. The Field Research Manager will implement and refine methods for sampling vegetation, soil and other metric of ecosystem condition and health using the Mid-Atlantic Tidal Rapid Assessment Method (Mid-TRAM) and other protocols. The Field Research Manager will be responsible for data collection, field staff scheduling and management, quality control and report preparation in support of tidal marsh conditions assessments in NYC parks natural areas. The Salt Marsh assessment contributes to a city-wide assessment of ecological resources led by NAC and involves close coordination with NAC scientists.
Project Tasks Include:
- Finalizing and refining field protocols in collaboration with Parks staff
- Planning and implementing field data collection
- Implementing quality assurance program plan for data collection and analyzing field data
- Writing reports to present and interpret data results
- Preparing technical reports on project status for NRG and grant funders
- Supervising field staff
A Master's degree from an accredited college or university with a specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological or environmental science or in public health.
- Graduate degree in environmental science, ecology, geography, botany, biology, or related field
- At least 3 years experience in field ecology, design and sampling, plant identification, and wetlands research
- Ability to work under adverse conditions (heat, early/late/weekend hours, inclement weather, etc.)
- Experience in using GPS for field research and GIS for mapping
- Excellent analytic, leadership and writing skills
- Experience managing field research staff and coordinating data collection
- Demonstrated ability to conduct research and work independently
- Valid NY State Driver's License
Salary: $27.36 per hour to $30.10 per hour, commensurate with experience
Hours: 35 hours per week
Duration: 1.5 years with approximate start date of April 1, 2013
Please send résumé, cover letter, and writing sample to Marit Larson at firstname.lastname@example.org, or:
Natural Resources Group
NYC Parks & Recreation
1234 Fifth Ave Rm 220
New York NY 10029-4418
For more information, please go to www.nyc.gov/parks.
THE CITY OF NEW YORK AND THE CITY OF NEW YORK / PARKS & RECREATION ARE EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYERS