Active Minds, Inc. seeks 2 energetic, dedicated and responsible individuals for a paid experience staffing a traveling suicide awareness and prevention exhibit between March 20-May 6, 2014. Send Silence Packing is a traveling public education display of 1,100 backpacks representing the 1,100 college students who die by suicide each year. The backpacks were donated in honor of loved ones who died suicide. This spring, Send Silence Packing will be visiting campuses in Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio, Kansas, Iowa, and Minnesota.
Road Trip Staff will manage all on-the-road aspects of the trip including transportation, display set-up/take-down, volunteer management, coordinating with campus hosts, representing the Active Minds, Inc. national office, as well as staying connected to the Active Minds community via social media and other networking tools.
Job duties include:
- Drive a 16-foot truck to pre-determined colleges, universities and public spaces in cities across the Midwest region.
- Unload and re-load 1,100 backpacks at each site.
- Coordinate volunteers to help set-up, tear down and staff the display.
- Speak on behalf of Active Minds, Inc. with attendees at the events.
- Actively distribute materials and share mental health education, resources and information at each display with those passing by.
- Work with campus hosts, college students, local communities and the Active Minds, Inc. national office.
- Assist with public relations efforts; i.e. speaking with media and distributing press materials.
- Take pictures and video at each event, edit and upload them to Dropbox weekly.
- Post a weekly blog update and coordinate cross-promotion with the Active Minds Twitter, Facebook and Tumblr accounts from the road.
All Road Trip Staff candidates must have a valid U.S. driver’s license, be capable of driving a 16-foot truck for extended hours and be able to do light to moderate lifting. Candidates must be available for a 40+ day road trip between March 20 and May 6, 2014 that starts and ends in Washington, DC. Please note that a few hours of remote training will occur prior to the launch of the tour.
Special Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Safe driving record (must be proven by report from insurance company or Department of Motor Vehicles).
- Must be dependable and responsible.
- Comfortable with manual labor, long hours on the road and significant travel; this is essentially a 15+hr/day job for 40+ days, with weekends mostly free.
- Energy and enthusiasm for organizing student volunteers and interacting with the public.
- Must be flexible and have a sense of adventure.
- The two display staffers will be required to spend long hours together and work as an effective team; road staff will be sharing a hotel room during the tour.
- Strong and creative writing skills.
- Experience with social media; i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr.
- Experience with image editing and design.
- Interest in mental health and suicide prevention.
We are a non-profit organization with a small, passionate, hard-working staff. This is a temporary short-term position with a monetary stipend of $100/day plus $25/day for food expenses. Shared lodging expenses will be covered.
How to apply:
Send resume, cover letter highlighting interest, experience and qualifications, and three references as soon as possible but no later than March 2, 2014 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your cover letter in the body of your email and attach your resume as a PDF. No phone calls, please.
Spring 2014 Tour Schedule (as of 2/18/2014)
- March 26: Northeast Wisconsin Technical College
- April 17: Kansas State University
- March 31: Purdue University
- April 22: University of Iowa
- April 2: University of Notre Dame
- April 24: Concordia College
- April 7: Wright State University
- April 28: University of Minnesota – Duluth
- April 9: University of Indianapolis
- April 30: Twin Cities (Minneapolis, MM)
- April 15: Indiana University – Bloomington
About Send Silence Packing:
This acclaimed program from Active Minds, Inc. aims to promote a positive dialogue about mental health on college campuses and raise awareness about the incidence and impact of student suicide. Since 2008, the display has traveled to over 80 cities in states across the country. Active Minds continues to collect backpacks and personal stories written in memory or in honor of loved ones. By adding personalized stories to the backpacks, we are putting a “face” to lives lost to suicide. Send Silence Packing carries the message that preventing suicide is not just about lowering statistics, but also about saving the lives of students, daughters, sons, brothers, sisters and friends.
To learn more about Send Silence Packing, visit: www.ActiveMinds.org/SendSilencePacking.
To read about the displays’ travels and impact, visit the blog: www.SendSilencePacking.org.
How to apply
Send resume, cover letter highlighting interest, experience and qualifications, and three referencesas soon as possiblebut no later than March 2, 2014 to email@example.com. Please include your cover letter in the body of your email and attach your resume as a PDF. No phone calls, please.
2001 S Street, NW, Washington, DC, 20009, US