Title: Creative Catalyst. Results-Oriented Idealist. Revolutionary. ROADS Teacher.
Location: Brooklyn, NY or Bronx, NY
Category: Instructional – ELA and Special Education
Position Type: Regular Full-Time, Reporting to Principal
Start Date: August 2014
The launch of ROADS (Reinventing Options for Adolescents Deserving Success) Charter Schools presents a tremendous opportunity to prove that every student, without exception, can thrive, when given access to extraordinary educators.
Three years ago, ROADS was simply an idea about new ways to provide an excellent education for students who were inadequately served by the mainstream system. That idea has now grown into a reality with two new charter high schools, ROADS I in East New York, Brooklyn, and ROADS II in the South Bronx.
Our mission at ROADS is to ensure that ALL students ; especially those who are most at risk of dropping out ; graduate from high school thoroughly prepared to excel academically, professionally, and personally. Combining best practices from youth development, high-performing public and public charter schools and work-based interventions, the ROADS model is designed to do nothing less than change the life trajectories of our students. Our application process gives a preference to those students most often ignored: those involved in the juvenile justice system; homeless students; former drop outs; those in foster care or child protective services; or those at least one year behind their graduation cohort.
The classroom teacher position at ROADS is a dream job for a dynamic, thoughtful, results-oriented idealist seeking to play a role in categorically changing the conversation around why and how we educate students in the United States today. S/he will work to unleash the passion, purpose, curiosity and sense of possibility inside each young person we serve as a means to college, career and community readiness for all.
If you are one of these needles in the haystack, you’ll likely have no shortage of teaching opportunities and, no matter where you go, you’ll make a difference in students’ lives. However, you will not find a group of students who need you more than our students need you. Are you ready to prove possibility?
- Facilitate learning through masterful delivery of instruction.
- Take both the initiative and the direction to perform other tasks and assume other responsibilities as needed in order to unlock the potential inside each of our students.
- Communicate regularly and effectively with students, parents, caregivers and colleagues to strategically build solutions in response to setbacks, in order to ensure that yesterday is never today.
- Create a classroom culture defined by rigorous academics, unyielding support and joy! Hold students to high behavioral, academic, and character standards at all times.
- Use backward design and project-based learning to develop rigorous, relevant and engaging units, projects, and lessons.
- Design and use appropriate assessments to track, monitor, and modify instruction in support of student learning goals.
- Think, speak and act with genuine curiosity, open-mindedness and empathy.
- Receive and apply regular, ongoing feedback and support from colleagues.
- Participate in summer professional development, retreats, curriculum planning, team meetings, academic conferences, school-wide events, open houses, parent teacher conferences, student-led conferences, school trips, home visits and occasional student overnight retreats.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Valid NY State Teaching Certification
- 2+ years of successful full-time classroom teaching experience
- Prior experience working with/for high school students in an urban setting required. Experience working with disconnected populations strongly preferred.
CHARACTERISTICS & SKILLS
- Absolutely on fire about our mission.
- Entrepreneurial. Magnetized by challenge, ambiguity, complexity and change.
- Optimistic in the face of adversity.
- Ability to inspire, challenge and support others to meet goals.
- Exemplary oral and written communication skills.
- Insatiable work ethic, resilience and stamina in the pursuit of excellence.
- Self-starter, resourceful, organized and detail-oriented. Ability to meet deadlines, work under time pressure and prioritize without losing sight of other responsibilities.
- Sophisticated analytical, strategic and problem solving skills. Unapologetic commitment to data-driven decision making and instruction.
- Humble, reflective and hungry to continuously improve.
- Great sense of humor. Seriously.
Compensation at ROADS is extremely competitive and commensurate with experience. We offer an excellent benefits package and opportunities for professional and personal growth. Oh, and did we mention that our students are incredible?
How to apply
HOW TO APPLY
To take the next big step in your professional journey, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the subject you wish to teach in the subject header of the email. Resumes without cover letters will not be considered. No phone calls, please. For further more information about ROADS, check us out at http://www.roadsschools.org or http://vimeo.com/66669870.
We can’t wait to meet you!
ROADS is an equal opportunity employer, and we hire without consideration of race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, or disability.