Resident Teacher: 2013-2014 Academic Year
Unlocking Potential is a nonprofit school management organization whose mission is to rapidly transform chronically underperforming district schools into extraordinary schools that sustain high achievement over time. Our turnaround schools ensure that students acquire the knowledge, skills, and strength of character necessary to succeed on the path to college and to achieve their full potential. Unlocking Potential currently operates two schools, UP Academy Charter School of Boston (grades 6-8) and UP Academy Lawrence (Leonard) Middle School (grades 6-8). In fall 2013, Unlocking Potential will open UP Academy Charter School of Dorchester (grades K1-5), and UP Academy Oliver (grade 6). By fall 2013, Unlocking Potential will serve more than 1500 students in Boston and Lawrence.
Resident Teachers commit to at least one year of work in UP Academy. Resident Teachers work as teachers in training at UP Academy; they provide critical support to the school if and when teachers are out of the building. UP Academy's resident teachers have their own teaching responsibilities within the school and also provide substitute coverage for classes with frequency. This role is ideal for an individual interested in exploring positions both within schools and within the broader work of educational reform.
• Receive significant support and development as a new teacher;
• Develop high-quality lessons and materials;
• Provide substitute coverage for classes and duties for absent teachers and leaders;
• Participate in curriculum development, grade-level activities, and school-wide functions;
• Provide consistent and high academic and behavioral expectations;
• Support student mastery of state, city, and school academic and behavioral standards;
• Lead enrichment classes weekly;
• Communicate effectively with students, families, and colleagues; and
• Participate in an intensive staff orientation and training for up to four weeks prior to the school year and weekly professional development sessions.
• A passionate belief in UP Academy's mission, values, and educational model;
• An eagerness to set ambitious, challenging, and tangible goals, and a relentless drive to achieve them;
• An ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment and a capacity to remain calm and focused when faced with unexpected challenges;
• Proven track-record of high achievement;
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including strong public speaking skills;
• A sense of humility in the face of success;
• Drive to improve the minds and lives of students in and out of the classroom;
• Bachelor's degree is required;
• A valid Massachusetts Teaching License for the appropriate grade level;
• An ability to meet all state and federal guidelines in order to be fully licensed and "Highly Qualified" according to NCLB; and
• Current authorization to work in the United States – A candidate must have such authorization by his or her first day of employment.
We offer a competitive compensation package, including, when relevant, a salary equal to (and in some cases above) the district scale and comprehensive health benefits.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for this position, please visit http:www.unlockingpotential.org/careeropportunities.html and formally apply for this position through our on-line application system.
90 Canal St, Suite 610, Boston, Massachusetts, 02114, United States