The World Resources Institute (WRI) seeks a seasoned Research Associate to join a team of forest and environmental professionals working on global forest and landscape restoration issues.
The successful applicant will be an adept researcher with a strong background and knowledge of international forestry issues, landscape restoration, and the environment. He/she will be a self-starter, pro-active, able to work independently with minimal guidance, set challenging goals and deliver on time.
This is a newly created position that will be part of WRI's Global Forest and Landscape Restoration project (FLR), which seeks to mobilize forest and landscape restoration in at least five countries around the world, including Indonesia and Brazil, in order to improve human livelihoods and protect the environment. It is one of two new forest initiatives within WRI.
- Conduct research and analysis on global forest and landscape restoration issues in support of FLR goals and activities.
- Develop training materials and case studies as needed.
- Develop and contribute to project plans, budgets, project-related communication material, and ensure achievement of deliverables and external outcomes.
- Represent WRI's work on FLR in various arenas, including within and outside WRI
- Provide administrative and management support to FLR (e.g., annual WRI workplans, financial management, partner sub-grant agreements, donor reports, internal WRI reports, etc.)
- Provide strategic support to project partners - individuals and institutions - in countries where FLR works (Indonesia and Brazil).
- Advanced degree (Masters or PhD) with a focus on forestry, sustainable forest management, natural resource management, or other relevant field.
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience in international forestry, sustainable forest management, natural resource management or related field.
- International work experience or good cross-cultural and interpersonal skills.
- Exceptional writing and research abilities.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking abilities
- Proficient with MS Office.
- Willingness to travel internationally.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a larger team.
- Ideally fluency in Portuguese, Spanish or Bahasa Indonesian, but not required.
- Demonstrated capacity to work well under pressure and successfully manage multiple deadlines and competing demands.
The World Resources Institute (http:www.wri.org/wri//) is an environmental and development research and policy organization that creates solutions to protect the Earth and improve people's lives. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, it is WRI's policy to recruit, hire, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability. WRI's global agenda requires a staff that is diverse - with respect to race, gender, cultural, and international background. Diverse perspectives and experience enhance the way WRI selects and approaches issues, as well as the creativity and applicability of WRI's policy research and analysis. WRI, therefore, encourages applications from U.S. minorities, persons from other countries (especially developing nations), and from women of all backgrounds.
WRI focuses on the intersection of the environment and socio-economic development. We go beyond research to put ideas into action, working globally with governments, business, and civil society to build transformative solutions that protect the earth and improve people's lives.
Solutions to Urgent Sustainability Challenges WRI's transformative ideas protect the earth, promote development, and advance social equity because sustainability is essential to meeting human needs today, and fulfilling human aspirations tomorrow.
Practical Strategies for Change WRI spurs progress by providing practical strategies for change and effective tools to implement them. We measure our success in the form of new policies, products, and practices that shift the ways governments work, businesses operate, and people act.
Global Action We operate globally because today's problems know no boundaries. We are avid communicators because people everywhere are inspired by ideas, empowered by knowledge, and moved to change by greater understanding. We provide innovative paths to a sustainable planet through work that is accurate, fair, and independent.
In its day to day work, WRI is guided by several core institutional values:
Innovation: To lead change for a sustainable world, WRI is creative, forward thinking, entrepreneurial, and adaptive.
Independence: WRI's effectiveness depends on work that is uncompromised by partisan politics, institutional or personal allegiances, or sources of financial support.
Urgency: WRI believes that change in human behavior is urgently needed to halt the accelerating rate of environmental deterioration.
Independence: Our effectiveness depends on work that is uncompromised by partisan politics, institutional or personal allegiances, or sources of financial support.
Respect: Our relationships are based on the belief that all people deserve respect.
Applications accepted only at www.wri.org/careers. No phone calls please.