We are seeking a Project Director to lead an exciting new multi-country, multi-year pilot program with significant strategic and programmatic importance. Skills to Succeed aims to make breakthroughs in one of the highest profile development issues at this time ; youth unemployment ; and is one of two emerging Signature Programs identified by the Hunger and Livelihoods Department. The Project Director leads the strategic, operational, and financial planning and execution of Skills to Succeed. He/she provides management oversight and technical leadership to deliver on all aspects of the project, including multi-country implementation, signature program package development, learning and evidence, and thought leadership and partnership building. He/she works in close collaboration with headquarters’ business line lead and technical advisors, supervises award manager and researcher, oversees country office project staff, and ensures accountability to the primary donor. Top-notch technical expertise as well as exceptional skills in partnership building, management, communications, and attention to detail is required.
Technical and Operations Leadership
- Formulate strategic and operational plans for each major project component (pilot implementation, signature program package development, learning and evidence, and thought leadership and partnership building).
- Monitor and report on programmatic and financial milestones at country and global level. Ensure internal and external stakeholders are informed of progress, deviations from plans, and risks.
- Provide technical leadership to country teams to design and deliver training and job linkage interventions to assist low-income and vulnerable youth to acquire competitive skills and obtain work or build a business. Assist country teams to build effective linkages between training providers, private sector employers, and the government to create demand-driven and sustainable solutions
- Collaborate with country office leadership to identify where management and technical reinforcement is needed, to oversee the timely achievement of milestones by project field staff and local partners, and to undertake vigilant tracking of project- and beneficiary-level risks
Signature Program Package Development
- Develop and test effective combinations of training and placement interventions, diverse delivery mechanisms, and public and private sector engagement tactics. Integrate innovative solutions to accelerate outcomes (savings, ICT, social enterprise, etc.) to inform strategic and operational refinements.
- Capture and document well-tested program tools, guidance, and innovations to guide strategic and operational refinements and to support replication and scale
Research and Learning
- Oversee the development of quality systems to collect timely, accurate monitoring and evaluation data.
- Work with in-house and external researchers to develop and execute a research agenda that will validate the impact of our work, add to the global knowledge base, and inform the next generation of program designs
Thought Leadership and Partnership Building
- Serve as primary representative of the project and as a youth employment expert in internal and external forums.
- Raise the profile and strategic relevance of Skills to Succeed within the SC movement (Country Offices, SC Members).
- Work with business line lead and technical advisors to build partnerships that bring new capabilities and financial resources.
- MA in international development or related field, or MBA/PhD with international focus.
- 10-12 years in international development, preferably with a combination of project/organizational management and research experience.
- Experience in workforce development and entrepreneurship programming, including private sector engagement, across diverse contexts. Track record in the design and delivery of innovative strategies to reach low-income and vulnerable youth.
- Experience in supervisory management, planning, and budgeting.
- Knowledge management, organizational capacity building, and shared-value partnership experience highly preferred.
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally as required (approx. 30%).
- Familiarity with the field of Information Communication Technology for Development a plus.
- Foreign language skills a plus
Employee Type: Full time
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries, including the United States. We aim to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives by improving their health, education and economic opportunities. Each year, we reach tens of millions of children in need in the United States and around the world. Join our dedicated and diverse staff in their work to improve the well-being of children everywhere.
Save the Children provides an attractive benefits package including competitive salaries, a matching retirement plan, health and welfare benefits, life insurance, an employee assistance program, generous time off and much more.
Save the Children provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Save the Children complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
2000 L St NW #500, Washington, DC, 20036, US