Sustain Charlotte is seeking an articulate and creative professional to manage our programs and communications, and assist with fundraising efforts. The work, however, does not stop there. Collaboration is essential, so we are looking for an individual who thrives on building relationships. At the end of the day, we are seeking a self-starter who strives to make a difference in the Charlotte region by helping us achieve our mission of greater local sustainability through advocacy, education, and community building. Sustain Charlotte staff work from home but must live in Charlotte.
- Manage all aspects of Sustain Charlotte's Sustainable Neighborhoods program, including communications with participating neighborhoods, sharing sustainability best practices, facilitating the creation and implementation of neighborhood sustainability plans, and sharing achievements with other neighborhoods as well as the public.
- Coordinate the Transportation Choices Alliance, including community outreach and education to the public about the benefits of alternative transportation modes, recruitment of new members, advocacy for policy solutions, communication with alliance members, and meeting facilitation.
- Manage Sustain Charlotte's social media presence, website content, and member communications, including monthly e-newsletter and action alerts.
- Write and distribute press releases, LTEs, Op-Eds, and other communications as needed.
- Attend community events including those held on evenings and Saturdays to which we are invited to serve as a spokesperson for Sustain Charlotte as part of our community education and outreach efforts.
- Work collaboratively with our Executive Director and board of directors on fundraising efforts and grant report compliance.
- Bachelors or masters degree in sustainability, political science, sustainable development, urban planning, community development, environmental science, environmental policy, or related field.
- Minimum of three years of successful non-profit program management experience. Preference is for experience in the sustainability or environmental sector.
- Experience in the development and administration of work plans, budgets and program evaluation.
- Ability to handle multiple projects, tasks, and deadlines in a high production atmosphere.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, including fluency in public speaking.
- Experience in building relationships with a wide variety of individuals,
- Fluency with social media and interest in using daily.
- Superior organizational skills with strong project management skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work both independently from a home office (in Charlotte) and collaboratively.
- Mature decision-making capabilities.
- A positive attitude and enthusiasm for our mission.
- Exemplary character qualities with strong ethics.
- Excellent personal and professional references.
How to apply
Qualified applicants should email a single PDF document containing a cover letter, résumé, and contact information for at least 3 professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. The email subject line should say: Candidate -- plus your last name. In your submission email, please let us know specifically where you heard about our job opportunity (e.g., Sustain Charlotte email, personal referral, a specific job website name, etc.). Due to the volume of interested applicants, we ask that you not telephone our offices about the position unless specifically invited to do so.