Working America, the community affiliate of the AFL-CIO, is the fastest growing organization for working people in the country. With more than 3 million members recruited since 2003, Working America organizes and mobilizes people who do not have a union on the job in support of working families’ issues.
The Program Specialist will work with the Program Director on developing and implementing issue campaigns and special projects on the national and state level. This will include researching issues, creating materials for popular education, and moving program.
Reports to: Program Director
• Assist the Program Director and the Regional Directors on implementing program on the national and state level;
• As needed, implement programmatic and mobilization activity in states;
• Develop issue educational materials for one page flyers, fact sheets, background memorandums, phone scripts, talking points, etc.;
• Maintain the campaign tracking & activist databases, which hold all national and state level issue information and activity;
• Draft national and state-level campaign progress reports on a regular basis;
• Interact and engage with allies and affiliates in connection with Working America program priorities on national and state-level basis;
• Assist the Program Director, Regional Directors and State Directors on special projects;
• Be conversant on national and state-level policy issues;
• Other duties as assigned.
• 3-5 years experience in programmatic and field campaigning;
• Periodic travel to field offices, special project states, conferences or other events as required;
• Familiarity with labor movement required with labor movement experience preferred;
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
• Strong research skills, including familiarity with common internet/online resources;
• Excellent ability to prioritize, plan and organize work activities, and consistently use time efficiently;
• Efficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook;
• Strong interpersonal skills;
• Good judgment;
• Commitment to labor issues;
• Ability to work long and irregular hours as necessary;
• Must work well with a team.
How to apply
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com, or fax a resume and cover letter to 202-508-6900.