Overview: The role of the Program Manager is to help Exponential Education meet demands for our after school peer-to-peer tutoring programs in Ghana. The Program Manager will be in charge of working with local staff, government officials, local leadership and Ghanaian education professionals to set up, run, and manage in entirety 2 to 3 Exponential Education programs. This is a full time unpaid volunteerposition (but you are provided a small food stipend) perfect for someone looking to gain experience living and working in Africa without having to pay program fees.
Aside from running Exponential Education programs, you will also work closely with the Ghana Education Services, Ministry of Education and Ghana National Service to contribute to the delivery of large scale teacher training workshops and provide SAT/College Advising to willing students in our new SAT center.
Commitment: Exponential Education expects a minimum commitment of 12 weeks although we highly encourage our program managers to stay much longer. We expect this position to take about 30 to 35 hours per week leaving time for travel and exploring the region.
Job Description: The Program Manager will play an essential role in the day to day operations on the ground in Ghana of Exponential Education. He/she will be responsible for working with their assigned school district to identify the most needy schools, setting up and coordinating our after school peer-to-peer tutoring programs with the headmasters of selected schools, working with teachers to build a curriculum for each program, overseeing the program several days a week, monitoring student progress, and finally holding a graduation ceremony to celebrate the students accomplishments at the end of 10 weeks. The role involves coordinating with various stakeholders, working on a daily basis with junior and senior high school students, and representing Exponential Education to local education and government officials.
Duties Also Include:
– Creating a budget and managing program funds
– Assistance with grant writing and fundraising for programs
– Completing accounting, attendance, and scoring files for each program on a weekly basis
– Communicating regularly with the Director of Operations in Ghana
– Purchasing and managing necessary supplies for each program
– Meeting with teachers to determine curriculum needs
– Monitoring and evaluating student progress through periodic progress exams
– Collecting and recording demographic data on student participants
– Identifying new schools and districts suitable Exponential Education
Qualifications: We are looking for education professionals and early career candidates with a passion for youth and development who are interested in gaining practical field experience on the ground in Africa. Passionate individuals who fit the following criteria are encouraged to apply:
– Strong project management and organizational skills
– The ability to work well with different types of people
– Culturally aware and sensitive – able to work well with people from different backgrounds
– Strong interpersonal and communication skills
– Professional demeanor capable of representing our organization appropriately to communities, teachers, students, and district administration
– 4-year University degree
– Experience tutoring, teaching, or working with youth and young people
– Self-motivated and responsible, working well both in a team setting and with little oversight
– Comfortable working remotely with staff both in the US and Africa
– Preferred prior working exerience in Africa
– Flexible, Adaptable and Comfortable working in a sometimes insecure foreign environment
– Passion for international education, development, and supporting children in Africa a must
Preferred Start Date: Arrival in Ghana between December15th and January 1st
Compensation: This is an unpaid, full time, volunteer position as currently Exponential Education puts nearly all of its funds into supporting children and running our programs in Africa. We do not charge any program or other additional fees, and we will provide a small food stipend and complimentary shared housing. As we continue to grow and undergo a transitional phase we hope to bring on early career staffers that will grow with our organization. While this position starts on a volunteer basis it has the opportunity to grow into a paid role with the growth of Exponential Education over the next few years.
Program Managers are expected cover the costs of their flight to Ghana, health insurance, and other miscellaneous costs.
In country we provide all of our program managers with 24/7 support, airport pickup and transport to work site, extensive training, introductory meetings with important officials, a food stipend, and free accommodation in one of our two volunteer houses. Program Managers will have direct support and assistance from our entire team on both in Ghana and in the United States at all times. Prior to departure we will work closely with the Program Manager to provide them with a wealth of resources as well as connecting them with our US based fundraising team.
Benefits: Upon completion of service, Exponential Education is prepared to assist with letters of recommendation and helping with job placement, using our considerable network of NGOs both in the United States and in Africa.
This is a unique opportunity to gain both first hand field experience on the ground in Africa as well as time in a leadership role. We invest considerable time and resources in the professional development of our program managers with the hope that they will then be able to re-invest this same development time into the teachers and students they work with in their respective districts.
We do ask that every team member launch their own fundraiser to help mitigate program costs, but there is no requirement on funds raised. We do not charge any program fees and 100% of the money raised by program managers is invested into the schools and communities you will serve in Ghana.
How to apply
To apply please send a copy of your resume and cover letter toExponentialEducationProgram@gmail.com. As there is a need for program managers in both urban and rural settings. In your cover letter please specify if you have a preference for living and working in either the city or the village.