ORGANIZATION AND BACKGROUND
The mission of Read to a Child is to increase children’s success in reading and in life by inspiring adults to read to them regularly.Research proves that the simple act of reading aloud to a child significantly impacts his or her literacy skills and, thus, his or her likelihood for success.
Read to a Child’s flagship lunchtime reading program partners an adult with a schoolchild for a rewarding, read aloud experience during the child’s lunch break.
To open up a child’s world through reading, please visit us at www.readtoachild.org.
PROGRAM MANAGER POSITION DESCRIPTION
Read to a Child is seeking a full-time Program Manager to oversee and ensure successful implementation of our lunchtime reading program currently at seven school sites throughout Los Angeles County. The Program Manager will report to the Executive Director. Job responsibilities include:
- Ensure program success at each school by effectively supervising school site coordinators and creating needed program materials
- Work with school site coordinators to sustain teachers’ and principals’ enthusiasm for the program
- Support volunteers with book ideas, read-aloud techniques, and guidelines for effectively working with students
- Ensure accurate database records of volunteers and students
- Conduct orientation sessions at the offices of our corporate partners to recruit and train new volunteers
- Meet regularly with Executive Director regarding program improvement and growth objectives
- Help strategize to expand the lunchtime reading program in greater Los Angeles
We are seeking a high-energy Program Manager who is mission-driven and self-directed, skilled in volunteer management and customer service, and excited about working in a fast-paced environment.
Other requirements include:
- A clear interest in children’s literacy and a passion for working to help children succeed
- Top-notch organizational skills
- Ability to plan, prioritize, and coordinate multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
- Experience managing a large number of volunteers and supervising multiple staff members
- Experience with email, databases, Microsoft Office software, Google Docs.
- Minimum 1-2 years of experience in a results-oriented, relationship-focused for-profit or nonprofit organization
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s a plus
- Access to a car is required
Compensation for this position is commensurate with experience and competitive for a small organization.
TO APPLY: Please email a cover letter, resume, and 3 references to email@example.com and note “Program Manager” on the subject line.
10940 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 100, Los Angeles, California, 90024, United States