Elementary School Out-of-School Time (OST) Program
at PS 24, Brooklyn, NY
The Program Director is responsible for developing and managing all aspects of our Out-of-School Time program for 200 students from grades pre-K to 5 at PS 24, a public elementary school in the Sunset Park neighborhood of Brooklyn. This includes recruiting students, hiring staff, program development, supervision and support for a staff of 30, reporting and compliance, and collaboration with the school and community.
This is a full-time, salaried, year-round position with excellent benefits. Salary minimum is $55,000; more based on experience and qualifications.
Morningside Center for Teaching Social Responsibility is a national leader in partnering with schools to implement research-based programs in social and emotional learning. Accordingly, our OST program at PS 24, called PAZ (Peace from A to Z) has SEL as its core theme. PAZ includes a rich array of engaging hands on activities in the arts, physical education, academic enrichment, and community service.
The PAZ program at PS 24 has a successful 14-year track record. Morningside Center also collaborates closely with PS 24 during the school day to foster students' social and emotional learning.
- With support from senior staff, develop and schedule activities that fulfill the program's objectives and that address the needs and interests of students and families
- Recruit children and families to participate in the program
- Hire, supervise and support a staff of approximately 30, including counselors, activity specialists, and PS 24 teachers
- Write and submit quarterly reports to funding agencies
- Ensure compliance with Department of Health and other regulations governing the program
- Attend all Morningside Center staff meetings at our home office and participate in PS 24's School Leadership Team
- Promote good communication among Morningside Center, PS 24, and funding agencies.
- Strong commitment to Morningside Center's mission to educate for social responsibility and to foster students' social and emotional learning
- BA required; MA a plus
- 5+ years experience leading highly effective learning programs in a public school or non-profit setting, demonstrated talent as a program manager; experience in the NYC Department of Education a plus.
- Excellent social and emotional skills
- Superior administrative skills, including excellent writing skills, the ability to understand and create budgets, attention to detail, and effective time management
- Fluency in Spanish and English
- Sensitivity to the needs and challenges facing this low-income community; knowledge of Sunset Park community a plus
- Previous SACC license an advantage
In addition, the successful candidate is:
- A passionate, creative educator;
- A fierce advocate for children and their families;
- A strong believer in the importance of high-quality, equitable public education;
- A visionary and strategic thinker;
- A dedicated collaborator and thoughtful team player;
- A creative, indefatigable problem solver;
- A detail oriented administrator;
- An effective and inspirational leader and manager of staff; and
- A good listener and partner
How to apply
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
PS 24, 427 38th Street, Brooklyn, NY, 11232, US